Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Australia & the Pacific (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/)
-   -   gifts for Australian friends (https://www.fodors.com/community/australia-and-the-pacific/gifts-for-australian-friends-220374/)

Judy May 14th, 2002 09:52 AM

gifts for Australian friends

I am going to Australia on Thursday and am wondering about some small gifts for my friends there. Are pistachios and pecans common in Australia? How about Jelly Belly jelly beans? Any suggestions from you Aussies about what you would like from the US that won't take a lot of room and travels well? Thanks!

Linda May 14th, 2002 12:00 PM

Hi Judy, I've recently returned from Australia to the US. Be aware that customs/immigration is very fussy re anything agricultural that might affect the health of their ag. economy. I had to turn over plus be lectured on the Planter's Dry Roasted peanuts I brought in (I had put them in a baggie to cut the weight, maybe an unopened jar would have been ok). Then returning there from a side trip to Bali, I had to give up some arty notebooks made from banana <BR>leaves. Maybe some Aussies will reply <BR>with what's ok to bring in. Or maybe there's an immigration/customs site that will spell it out. Have a great time, it's a great place.

Mary May 14th, 2002 03:58 PM

No nuts allowed - sorry! And we grow pecans and pistachios here anyway! Customs are really strict about any sort of plant material or produce etc. Jelly belly jelly beans are available. I'm afraid that without knowing your friends I can't suggest anything!

Alan May 14th, 2002 06:53 PM

Hi, Judy!<BR>Well, I'd like one of the Remington statues, but I guess the weight restrictions would beat me! How about a set of place mats with American art (maybe Native American) on them... or just American scenes?

marg May 14th, 2002 11:56 PM

Well, if you are bringing Alan a Remington, please bring one for me too.<BR>Don't bring in food as customs regulations are very strict. <BR>What about some posters from your beautiful national parks, or some souvenir coffee mugs from your home town. <BR>Incidentally, you can buy alcohol on arrival in Australia and prices are generally good, particularly with the current exchange rate. If your friends like an evening drink, this could be your answer.

Judy May 15th, 2002 07:11 AM

Thanks so much to all of you for your suggestions. I will scratach the nuts and jelly beans, look for something in the way of American arts, maybe a nice coffee table book. I'm used to being careful about what I bring back to the US from other countries, but it probably wouldn't have occurred to me that US produce might not be welcome everywhere! (Yep, I know--typical US-centric perspective. Ouch!)<BR><BR>Sorry about the Remington statue, Alan and Marg. But place mats and Native American art, I can do. (I live in the West--there are lots of things!)<BR><BR>Thanks again.

sue May 16th, 2002 06:49 AM

Hi Judy,<BR>Last year my mum bought gifts back from her US holiday, we all got those outdoor weather/temperature barometers.<BR>You can hang them on a wall outside and there are some very pretty designs, mine has robins on it. All our friends comment on it and I have never seen one the same in our shops.<BR>Considering how much time we spend out the back barbecueing & entertaining, they are a great idea.

Judy May 16th, 2002 11:44 AM

Thanks, Sue, that's a great idea. I can make a stop on my way to the airport. And then I'm off this evening for my great adventure "down under." <BR><BR>