Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   What to do on New Years' Eve in Bangkok? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/what-to-do-on-new-years-eve-in-bangkok-749418/)

heymo Nov 19th, 2007 06:06 AM

What to do on New Years' Eve in Bangkok?

I was really happy this year to not have to deal with New Years' plans, since we will be in Bangkok. However, it occurs to me that I have no idea how they celebrate the New Year!

If you've been there for the holiday before, perhaps you could share your experiences and make some suggestions!

Guenmai Nov 19th, 2007 07:12 AM

I'm there every year at that time. Last year, unfortunately Bangkok had the bombings.The whole area around Gaysorn Mall and Central World Plaza Mall had been blocked off for the celebrations and crowds had gathered in the street to celebrate. But, they all had to leave due to the bombings.So, I don't know what's planned for this coming celebration.

People also watch the fireworks from the river area which you can do.

The best thing to probably do is to check the Bangkok Post when you get there because there are pages and pages of both the Christmas and New Year's happenings and tons of restaurants to choose from. The restaurant prices are quite expensive on New Year's Eve. But, keep checking the paper and there will be some reasonably priced deals.
Personally I stay in and view the fireworks around town from my serviced apartment terrace since I can't imagine having to deal with the major transportaion problems of trying to get around town to different celebrations. Happy Travels!

heymo Nov 19th, 2007 07:23 AM

Guenmai- Thanks for the info.

We'll be staying at the Centre Point Silom,will we be able to see the fireworks from there? (I know it's on the river, but not sure where they set off the fireworks!)

Now that I am hearing all the advertisements here for making plans for New Years', I'm finally starting to get excited! (one of the detriments to booking a trip 8 months in advance...)

rhkkmk Nov 19th, 2007 08:03 AM

i think unless you have a full river view room at CP, you will not see much...it is 1/2 block back from the river and the shangri-la hotel blcoks most of the view...

you can walk out onto some open space to see them if you are lucky...

most of the hotels and many restaurants have very expensive fixed priced dinners that nite...i personally would choose an independent rest. and go early for dinner...

heymo Nov 19th, 2007 08:56 AM

Thanks Bob. I'm not sure if we have a river view apartment or not. I've written to Centre Point to ask if they have anything going that night, but am assuming they do not.

Where is a good location not too far from where we're staying to watch the fireworks? You said if we can find an open spot somewhere, but would it be in our best interest not to wander too far away from where we're staying due to transportation issues?

lcuy Nov 19th, 2007 09:25 AM

heymo, If you don't have a river view, you can just walk down to the taksin dock right by your hotel, or any of the little lanes leading to other docks along the river. THe fireworks go off from barges in the middle of the river between the Peninsula, the Oriental and the Shangri-la.

There will be huge parties going on at the big hotels, and unless you have a reservation there, you won't be allowed on their properties, even to go get a drink there.

Guenmai Nov 19th, 2007 09:39 AM

Definitely don't get caught up in the transportation problems. I would just walk around your area before New Year's Eve and then try to find where you might want to position yourself before the night of the fireworks and then you can go directly to your chosen spot the night of the fireworks. Happy Travels!

heymo Nov 19th, 2007 10:47 AM

That's a good idea Guenmai. we'll be in the city for a couple days when we first arrive, then we're traveling to Chaing Mai for a few days and coming back to Bangkok the evening of the 30th. So we should have plenty of time to scout a good spot.

Any suggestions for a nice place for dinner? It doesn't have to be fancy...we're not fussy.Something a little unconventional????

Guenmai Nov 19th, 2007 12:15 PM

Well, Tongue Thai isn't that far from you. It's on the street in back of the Oriental Place Shopping Arcade which is on the street in back of the Oriental Hotel. It's quite easy to find. You could just jump on the river boat and hop off at Tha Oriental. Then when you get off of the river boat there's only one way for you to walk which is straight ahead. You will pass the Oriental Hotel on your left. After you pass the Oriental Hotel there will be a street that will only go to your left. Walk past that street and walk up one more street and then turn left at that street. Tongue Thai is right on your right side soon after you enter the street.

You could also take a taxi there. It will only probably cost you 41 baht and will take no time. You might be able to just walk the distance. I don't have my good map in front of me to tell you the way to walk. It's very easy though. I'll look it up later when I can get to my good map and then I'll report back. Happy Travels!

simpsonc510 Nov 19th, 2007 01:37 PM

A friend is going to be dining at the Huntsman. It has good food (not fancy, but good) and has a fantastic Filipino band playing a great variety of music. This friend has already made his reservation there.

The Huntsman is located in the lower level of the Landmark Hotel, at the Nana skytrain station. If you travel by skytrain you should not have trouble. I wouldn't want to even think about getting taxi that evening!!!

We've been on Phuket a couple of times for New Years and it was really lovely and peaceful!

Enjoy...

heymo Nov 19th, 2007 03:33 PM

Thanks for the info on the restaurants...I'll check them out! Guenmai, if you have a chance to find out the directions to Tongue Thai that would be wonderful!

Do you know how late the skytrain runs that night?

Guenmai Nov 19th, 2007 07:14 PM

I'll look on my map as soon as I can get to it which should be soon. But, you can easily do it on the boat up river. It's only about 2 stops. Happy Travels!

Guenmai Nov 20th, 2007 07:20 AM

OK...I have my Nancy Chandler map out...You walk up Charoen Krung (New Road) in the direction of the Oriental Hotel. And then the street that the Oriental Hotel is on is where you make a LEFT turn. There's no name on the map, but you can't miss it.Plus, there's probably a sign pointing in the direction of the Oriental Hotel.
If you have the Nancy Chandler map, you'll see Tongue Thai listed on it. That street is only two short blocks long anyway before it dumps into the Oriental Hotel which sits at the river.
So when you've turned left onto that street that leads to the Oriental Hotel, then the first street you come to you'll need to turn right...the only way you can turn...and then Tongue Thai is right there on your right. The Oriental Place (OP) Shopping Arcade will be to your left...take a look in. It's very small and nice. If I were you, I'd just stroll up there during the day so that you can find the place before you attempt it at night...although it's not that difficult to find. The street that Tongue Thai is listed on is Charoen Krung, but it really isn't that street as it's located on a street off of Charoen Krung. Happy Travels!

rhkkmk Nov 20th, 2007 09:08 AM

i think the taskim pier might be a good place, but i suspect others will be there.....

Kathie Nov 20th, 2007 05:41 PM

Note that there isn't just one fireworks show on the river, but many. Each hotel has their own show, or hotels situated across the river from each other may share a show. We can often see three or four fireworks shows simultaneously from our room at the ROS. So if you have any kind of river view, you should be able to see fireworks.

In the "old days" when we could bring champagne with us (I don't like to put it in the checked luggage) we used to have champagne in our roms and watch the fireworks.

Hanuman Nov 20th, 2007 06:10 PM

Tongue Thai - I got dizzy reading Guenmai's direction so I did a search and here's their web site:

http://www.witch-tavern.com/tongue/index.htm

Hope that it will help!

Guenmai Nov 20th, 2007 07:05 PM

I thought my directions were pretty easy to follow especially since I was sending them there from the Centre Point Silom Serviced Apartments where they'll be staying. I've walked/taxied/river boated to the Tongue Thai/Oriental Place area over a couple dozen times. It's not that difficult to find. Plus, Tongue Thai is on the Nancy Chandler map, but with no street name as is quite usual of Bangkok maps when streets are very small.
In the above link that you've listed I didn't notice any address or directions on how to get there. Maybe I didn't click on something correctly I'll try your link again. Happy Travels!

Guenmai Nov 20th, 2007 07:11 PM

OK...now a pink page has popped up with an address saying Charoen Krung, soi 38...which is not on any of my Bangkok maps. It's still the first soi, off the main street, that leads into to the Oriental Hotel area. That's the easiest way to find it. Happy Travels!

Hanuman Nov 20th, 2007 07:12 PM

Guenmai,

Try clicking "Profile". You gave a pretty good direction but perhaps the website, with the street address and phone number, will be of further help.

heymo Nov 21st, 2007 06:45 AM

Thank you all for such concerted efforts to help us find Tongue Thai! I'm sure we'll make it there with no trouble...

Kathie- You said you used to bring champagne. Can you purchase it there, or is it ridiculously expensive? We have a great neoprene wine holder that we've used in the past to transport wine in our checked luggage from California and rum from St. Croix...I may just go ahead and bring a bottle from home with me!