Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Phonetic Writing of Name (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/phonetic-writing-of-name-1664942/)

yestravel Mar 19th, 2019 01:05 PM

Phonetic Writing of Name

First trip to Japan. Some of the hotels want the Phonetic of my name. How do I find out how to do that?

MmePerdu Mar 19th, 2019 02:03 PM

A search using the title of your post, google has a number of sites, if that is actually what they want. Maybe they just want to greet you correctly, I can see that.

yestravel Mar 19th, 2019 02:18 PM

Yes, as I understand that is the reason. I had googled and didn't find anything helpful as they want it in Japanese, but I just modified my title as you suggested and could work my way to something I think may work. Thanks for the suggestion .

kappa1 Mar 22nd, 2019 11:14 PM

That's a funny request, to me, from your hotel. I would think it is not a requirement but they would like to know it if it is possible for you to provide it.​​I am Japanese and i could help you with that. I understand they are asking for your name phonetically written in " katakana". I have done​​​​​​ it for my European friends and colleagues. Eg, James Taylor - じぇーむず.てーらー. This is actually " hiragana". I can't seem to get karakana on my tablete. On the other hand, i would understand if you didn't to wish to share your name on public forums.

yestravel Mar 23rd, 2019 07:51 AM

If you don’t fill it in, the form won’t submit. Do you do Fodors Private messaging? I could send it to you via PM. Would appreciate your help.

FromDC Mar 23rd, 2019 03:41 PM

I vaguely remember something like that happening to me with one of the small hotels I booked. I found an email address on the website and sent an email explaining that I couldn’t book because of that requirement (or something like it). They wrote back and gave me an alternative way to book (or maybe they even did the booking via email).

Reading54 Mar 23rd, 2019 05:01 PM

Can't you use Google Translate?
https://translate.google.com/#view=h...te&sl=en&tl=ja

Just type your name in English on the left hand side, whatever shows up on the right hand side should be your phonetic name in Japanese. Click on the speaker icon on the Japanese side to listen to it, to make sure it is close to what your name is pronounced in English.

MmePerdu Mar 23rd, 2019 06:15 PM

Of course I had to try it, Reading54. It sounded remarkably close, just a slight extra sound at the end. I'd have understood it.

kappa1 Mar 24th, 2019 12:23 AM

Hi YESTRAVEL, sorry i have been offline. If you have not found a solution yet, you can pm me........ How do you pv here ? I have done it on TA site but never here and i don't see pm function on the screen.

yestravel Mar 24th, 2019 07:22 AM

kappa1 -- I sent you a PM
to send a private message, click on the posters name you want to send to, a list will appear, click on the send a private message to xxxx. To find one sent to you look at the upper right corner for this & click on Private Messages
Welcome, yestravel.
You last visited: Mar 23rd, 2019 at 03:57 PM
Private Messages: Unread 0, Total 45.

Reading54 -- thank you -- great idea! I didnt even think to use google translate because I thought "phonetic" was something special.

kappa1 Mar 24th, 2019 06:52 PM

Hi, i had already done it and did not see pm. I was thinking it was due to my setting or because i am reading on my tablet. Anyway i have received a notice of your pm on my email and there i saw your message with your names. I will try to answer it pming back, i hope i can, it should be easy but i again did not see reply botton on your pm. Let me see.

kappa1 Mar 24th, 2019 07:13 PM

Ok, now i have just pm'd you. You must have received 2 messages. They are the same.

yestravel Mar 25th, 2019 05:11 AM

This forum can be so helpful. I think I am set -- thanks!