Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Hotel recommendations in Bangkok? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/hotel-recommendations-in-bangkok-222505/)

Jason May 19th, 2002 04:57 PM

Hotel recommendations in Bangkok?

Will be traveling to Bangkok at the end of September 2002. Does anyone have hotel recommendations - this is our honeymoon - so we're looking to stay someplace nice. Thanks.

Kathie May 19th, 2002 07:36 PM

I think the nicest places to stay in Bangkok are along the River. That includes the Oriental, the Peninsula and the Royal Orchid Sheraton. If you decide on the Royal Orchid, opt for a Towes room - lovely rooms, great amenities.

GF Jun 9th, 2002 05:18 PM

The Dusit Thani is a very very nice hotel that would be a good option for a honeymoon.

Vicky Jun 9th, 2002 06:02 PM

About eight years ago we (as first time visitors)stayed at the Oriental. It was wonderful. Even the elevator operators called you by name. Everyday there was a different unusual fruit plate delivered to your room with a card describing the fruit. Breakfast was included and was served on the veranda. There was coffee and tea makings in the room, plus around 4:30 every afternoon our room was repleased with ice. Very nice.

jean Jun 10th, 2002 12:38 AM

Stayed at the Sukhothai last year. Very classy, I think it was designed by the guy who also does the Aman resorts so it has that Oriental minimalist feel. Beautiful minimalist decor in the rooms. Bathrooms really lovely. Does not look like the typical hotel. It's near the business district though.<BR> <BR>Stayed at the Peninsula. Also classy but more like a typical 5-star hotel compared to Sukhothai. Beautiful gardens, where you dock to get to the hotel boat which shuttles back and forth the river (the Hotel is not near any big shopping malls). The rooms are also beautiful, very state of the art, cd player in the room, tv in the bathroom. You will enjoy both.

Anna Jun 11th, 2002 05:33 PM

I stayed at the Peninsula in January with my husband. I highly recommend it, it was considerably cheaper than the Oriental during the time we went. We booked directly through the Peninsula's website. (www.peninsula.com)

pat Jun 14th, 2002 06:26 AM

Oriental, then Penisula or Dusit thani. Wherever you choose, don't forget to let them know that it is for your special time!!<BR>Congratulations.

Beth Jun 15th, 2002 09:47 AM

My husband and I just stayed at the Marriot Spa Resort. It's a little outside of the main tourist area of Bangkok, but it is on the river, and absolutely gorgeous! Well, that's if you like 1920's colonial accommodations. It was very luxury, in an old fashioned kind of way. When travelling on the River, we ofcourse saw the Peninsula, Sheraton, etc. but they just looked like boring high-rise hotels. Anyway, check it out - we really liked it, and it was only $115 a night, with full buffet breakfast. It's a five star also.

Lord Keay Jul 1st, 2002 01:08 PM

Any of the following will almost certainly be excellent<BR><BR>River - Oriental, Peninsula, Shangri La (Krungthep Wing)<BR><BR>City - Dusit (Landmark Room), Regent, Sukothai, Plaza Athene<BR>

Fred Jul 1st, 2002 01:32 PM

All of the previous recommendations are good. One wonderful hotel that is conspicuously absent from everybody's list is the Regent. Even if you do not stay there PLEASE visit for Sunday brunch - it's awesome! For a honeymoon, I would encourage you to choose the Sukothai because it is like an in-town resort - very relaxing and elegant. And whatever you do, don't pay rack rate anywhere - there are lots of hotel deals in Bangkok! Try www.planetholiday.com - I've had good luck with them every time.

Jim Rosenberg Jul 1st, 2002 07:26 PM

Another hotel along the river is the Royal River. It is generally a lower-priced offering compared to some, but we found the rooms to be very comfortable. The staff is friendly and the hotel itself is quite nicely done. Cabs are so inexpensive in Bangkok that it is no problem getting into shopping areas, etc., and tours were available from the hotel through Tourismo Thai. We enjoyed the riverside terrace, where dinner is served each evening overlooking the river. I guess what I'm saying is this: don't rule it out. Happy contrails!

Colin Jul 5th, 2002 05:56 AM

We stayed at the Holiday Inn Crowne Plaza and found it to be excellent quality for the money.<BR><BR>Fantstic Tandoor restaurant is another attraction !!<BR><BR>______________________________________<B R>My Travelogues & Photos<BR>http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~fos007/fb2b.htm<BR>Bangkok,Ayutthya,Chiang Rai,Krabi,PhiPhi