Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Help with honeymoon planning in India - December (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/help-with-honeymoon-planning-in-india-december-643968/)

zyophone Sep 3rd, 2006 09:06 AM

Help with honeymoon planning in India - December

I am planning for my honeymoon in the first week of December. I have 10 days including travel time. I will be starting from Chennai. My fiancé and I have decided on Shimla for the first leg and we have also decided on the hotel – Wildflower Hall. However, we have not been able to decide on a place for the second leg (2-3 days). As of now, our plan looks like this:

Day 1: Fly to Delhi. Catch overnight train to Kalka
Day 2: Catch toy train to Shimla. Check into hotel.
Day 3: At Shimla
Day 4: At Shimla
Day 5: At Shimla
Day 6: Leave Shimla for ???
Day 7: ???
Day 8: ???
Day 9: ???
Day 10: Reach delhi and catch flight to Chennai.

Please share your ideas with us.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Bonita Sep 3rd, 2006 10:06 AM

First Off, Congragulations!
In terms of your itinerary, well, yes, i certainly can offer u suggestions post Shimla, as from Delhi u can reach many places, most specifically Jaipur and/or Agra .

In terms of Shimla in December, well, u can certainly go, but as u know it does get pretty cold in HImachal Pradesh in winter. I wld generally reccomend a visit to this area May~October.

That said, and if u are a fan of the fresh chilly mountain weather and snowy himalayan vistas, I have heard absolutely wonderful things about the Wildflower Resort, a luxury Oberoi Property, and their world class Spa!!!

And i gather it would be a very romantic place too..

The property is not in Shimla exactly, it is about 45 minute drive from town.

If u stick with this plan as noted, post Shimla i wld reccomend u take a little trip to either Jaipur or Agra from Delhi, if u have yet to visit.

Both are great places to visit and both of these destiantions have beautiful properties and wld fit with the honeymoon theme royally!

I wld certainly suggest AmarVilas in Agra and in Jaipur, so many choices.., u can go for the Oberoi RAjVilas for pure luxury, or i am personlly fond of the Rambagh Palace, which is in town!

Anyways, happy travels and feel free to drop me a line. I have helped a few others with Honeymoon trips in my day as a American living in the region.. [email protected]

patrica_wyne Sep 3rd, 2006 10:14 AM

hi Zy!!!

in my opinion it would be better to add the Kullu and Dhramshalla. These palace are very good to spend some times.

thanks
pat

zyophone Sep 3rd, 2006 10:50 AM

Thanks Bonita! We would be heading off to Chicago and i thought Shimla would be a good heads up for her to prepare for the Chicago winter :-)
Jaipur sounds like a good idea. Can you suggest some hotels in Jaipur around $200 - $300? I checked out Rambagh and RajVilas and both seem to be around $600.
Pat - thanks! Kullu sounds good too... but I think the mountains would get a bit monotonous.

Bonita Sep 3rd, 2006 11:03 AM

Hi Zy!
Oh, i see your planning/thinking now!

Sure, i can suggest plenty of other choices in Jaipur, as i am in/out of the region all the time, and have stayed at most properties too!

And yes, December is high season, so prices and bokings are at a all time high, and those two properties surely most expensive in Jaipur..!

Beyond the RajVilas and Rambagh there are plenty of other more eco friendly choices.

U can try Jai Mahal Palace, another lovely Palace property, and a more economica alternative to Rambagh. I have stayed here too, and find it quite nice, especially if u get one of there Haveli rooms!

U can try the Rajputana Sheraton! It is a good modern property with a buzz.

U can try the Trident Hilton!

And for smaller more traditonal places u can try Samode Haveli or even Alisar haveli.

Many more suggestions, just a few ideas to get u started.

Anyways, happy planning and feel free to drop me a email if u would lke some more info. Happy to help.

Namaste..

Bonita Sep 3rd, 2006 11:16 AM

HI zy, Again..
By the way, forgot to mention...The prices u quoted for the Rambagh and RajVilas seem very High!.

There should/may be lower prices out there.

I wld be happy to look into it for u, as i know folks in Delhi that have negotiated their own special rates at those properties as per high volume group bookings and such. Feel free to drop me a line at [email protected]

vp_singh Sep 3rd, 2006 09:27 PM

you do not mention your nationality, for honeymoon planning involving indian couples will be diffrent to what one can expect for foriegners.
Intense togetherness!

zyophone Sep 3rd, 2006 09:57 PM

I am an Indian currently staying in the US

vp_singh Sep 5th, 2006 03:32 AM

You may consider Palampur or Taragarh Palace for a couple of days. You have Village Andretta made famous by late painter Sobha Singh & Norah Richards, The Tashigong monastery & 700 years old Chamunda Devi temples,a visit here considered auspicious by Hindu newly weds.

zyophone Sep 5th, 2006 05:31 PM

thanks vp_singh. After Shimla, I want to spend some time on the plains and have kinda narrowed it down to Jaipur. And at this point, thinking of staying at Jai Mahal Palace, Jaipur.

vp_singh Sep 5th, 2006 09:01 PM

Gosh...you are covering too much distance on your honeymoon!
Your choice is good but also have a look at Rambaug Palace Hotel. It is gorgeous, with Maharani Gayatri Devi's Moti Dungri in the foreground!!
Best Wishes.