Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Help with honeymoon planning in India - December

Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

I am planning for my honeymoon in the first week of December. I have 10 days including travel time. I will be starting from Chennai. My fiancé and I have decided on Shimla for the first leg and we have also decided on the hotel Wildflower Hall. However, we have not been able to decide on a place for the second leg (2-3 days). As of now, our plan looks like this:

Day 1: Fly to Delhi. Catch overnight train to Kalka
Day 2: Catch toy train to Shimla. Check into hotel.
Day 3: At Shimla
Day 4: At Shimla
Day 5: At Shimla
Day 6: Leave Shimla for ???
Day 7: ???
Day 8: ???
Day 9: ???
Day 10: Reach delhi and catch flight to Chennai.

Please share your ideas with us.

Thanks for your help in advance.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:06 AM

First Off, Congragulations!
In terms of your itinerary, well, yes, i certainly can offer u suggestions post Shimla, as from Delhi u can reach many places, most specifically Jaipur and/or Agra .

In terms of Shimla in December, well, u can certainly go, but as u know it does get pretty cold in HImachal Pradesh in winter. I wld generally reccomend a visit to this area May~October.

That said, and if u are a fan of the fresh chilly mountain weather and snowy himalayan vistas, I have heard absolutely wonderful things about the Wildflower Resort, a luxury Oberoi Property, and their world class Spa!!!

And i gather it would be a very romantic place too..

The property is not in Shimla exactly, it is about 45 minute drive from town.

If u stick with this plan as noted, post Shimla i wld reccomend u take a little trip to either Jaipur or Agra from Delhi, if u have yet to visit.

Both are great places to visit and both of these destiantions have beautiful properties and wld fit with the honeymoon theme royally!

I wld certainly suggest AmarVilas in Agra and in Jaipur, so many choices.., u can go for the Oberoi RAjVilas for pure luxury, or i am personlly fond of the Rambagh Palace, which is in town!

Anyways, happy travels and feel free to drop me a line. I have helped a few others with Honeymoon trips in my day as a American living in the region.. [email protected]
Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:14 AM

hi Zy!!!

in my opinion it would be better to add the Kullu and Dhramshalla. These palace are very good to spend some times.

thanks
pat
Sep 3rd, 2006, 10:50 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bonita! We would be heading off to Chicago and i thought Shimla would be a good heads up for her to prepare for the Chicago winter
Jaipur sounds like a good idea. Can you suggest some hotels in Jaipur around $200 - $300? I checked out Rambagh and RajVilas and both seem to be around $600.
Pat - thanks! Kullu sounds good too... but I think the mountains would get a bit monotonous.
Sep 3rd, 2006, 11:03 AM

Hi Zy!
Oh, i see your planning/thinking now!

Sure, i can suggest plenty of other choices in Jaipur, as i am in/out of the region all the time, and have stayed at most properties too!

And yes, December is high season, so prices and bokings are at a all time high, and those two properties surely most expensive in Jaipur..!

Beyond the RajVilas and Rambagh there are plenty of other more eco friendly choices.

U can try Jai Mahal Palace, another lovely Palace property, and a more economica alternative to Rambagh. I have stayed here too, and find it quite nice, especially if u get one of there Haveli rooms!

U can try the Rajputana Sheraton! It is a good modern property with a buzz.

U can try the Trident Hilton!

And for smaller more traditonal places u can try Samode Haveli or even Alisar haveli.

Many more suggestions, just a few ideas to get u started.

Anyways, happy planning and feel free to drop me a email if u would lke some more info. Happy to help.

Namaste..
Sep 3rd, 2006, 11:16 AM

HI zy, Again..
By the way, forgot to mention...The prices u quoted for the Rambagh and RajVilas seem very High!.

There should/may be lower prices out there.

I wld be happy to look into it for u, as i know folks in Delhi that have negotiated their own special rates at those properties as per high volume group bookings and such. Feel free to drop me a line at [email protected]
Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:27 PM

you do not mention your nationality, for honeymoon planning involving indian couples will be diffrent to what one can expect for foriegners.
Intense togetherness!
Sep 3rd, 2006, 09:57 PM
Original Poster

I am an Indian currently staying in the US
Sep 5th, 2006, 03:32 AM

You may consider Palampur or Taragarh Palace for a couple of days. You have Village Andretta made famous by late painter Sobha Singh & Norah Richards, The Tashigong monastery & 700 years old Chamunda Devi temples,a visit here considered auspicious by Hindu newly weds.
Sep 5th, 2006, 05:31 PM
Original Poster

thanks vp_singh. After Shimla, I want to spend some time on the plains and have kinda narrowed it down to Jaipur. And at this point, thinking of staying at Jai Mahal Palace, Jaipur.
Sep 5th, 2006, 09:01 PM

Gosh...you are covering too much distance on your honeymoon!
Your choice is good but also have a look at Rambaug Palace Hotel. It is gorgeous, with Maharani Gayatri Devi's Moti Dungri in the foreground!!
Best Wishes.