Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Any recommendations for Chiang Mai? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/any-recommendations-for-chiang-mai-497668/)

ricktp Jan 23rd, 2005 09:56 AM

Any recommendations for Chiang Mai?

In February I will doing an OAT tour that has a couple of half days free in Chiang Mai. Any recommendations (other than shopping and eating) would be greatly appreciated. The more active the better. Thanks.

rhkkmk Jan 23rd, 2005 05:56 PM

run up and down the stair at doi sutup at least four or five times...

divediva Jan 30th, 2005 09:34 PM

the nite market is great....
doi sutup (once is plenty, bob)
hire a car and driver and go out of town...
elephant camps are near by,
river rafting.... hill tribe villages arent too far

pbphily Jan 31st, 2005 02:22 PM

Just returned - Chiang Mai was my favorite city - highly recommend a cooking class - Yui at A Lot of Thai - we had the best time - very very reasonable - learned a lot and enjoyed great food - was a highlight of the trip - be sure to leave time for massages - very cheap [don't do the hotels - just hit ones near by - got one in every day] definitely do the elephant camp -

Spygirl Jan 31st, 2005 04:24 PM

pb-tell us more-where did you eat?

pbphily Feb 1st, 2005 04:08 AM

Sorry to say I can't provide names of the local Thai places that we hit - one across from the plaza hotel was the best but if you want to treat yourself to an elegant night out for diner highly recommend Le Coq D'Or - expensive for Thailand but we found out too late that you can bring your own wine even in high end restaurants - their corkage fee was around $10.50 - that really cuts down on the total bill - your picked up and returned home by a vintage limo and the food [French] and service ranks up there with our 4star restaurants in the states it was a very memorable evening for my daughter and I

CFW Feb 4th, 2005 10:00 PM

If you like spa treatments, try the Oasis spa. It is truly an oasis -- in the city, but set in a garden. Best massages and treatments I had in Thailand (and that's saying something since Thai massages are extraordinary!) in a beautiful, restful setting at a reasonable price. They will also send a car to pick you up at youir hotel, so it's very convenient.

I know you didn't want restaurant recommendations, but for others who may, the Grand Lanna is fabulous. Went there on Tangata's recommendation and loved it. It's a little out of town on San Kampaeng Road, but well worth the trip. Now operated by the new Oriental Dara Devi hotel but they told us the restaurant had been there for 25 years. The setting and food couldn't be better. We also enjoyed the Whole Earth in Chiang Mai, but the Grand Lanna is in a whole different category. Not that much more expensive, but very special.

lovebirds Feb 5th, 2005 07:59 AM

Hi ricktp,
We will be doing the OAT Thailand trip in November 2005. Will you be posting a trip report after you get home? Although we've used GCT 3 times, this is our 1st trip with OAT. Have you used them for any previous trips? Any/all info is greatly appreciated. Have a great trip!!!