Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Air Travel (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/)
-   -   Don't Travel British Airways (https://www.fodors.com/community/air-travel/dont-travel-british-airways-1091665/)

Laars Mar 29th, 2016 03:19 AM

Don't Travel British Airways

Don't even think of flying British Airways. Here's why.

I had a transatlantic flight booked, but couldn't go due to a health issue. I was covered by travel insurance. They requested a price breakdown so they would know which parts of the total fare I could get back. Some taxes are refundable if you don't travel. Fair enough

I called British Airways and they refused to send me the information. I called several times. They eventually pointed me to a web page that has a form for proof of non-travel. They said put the request there. I filled it out. In the comment I put my request for the price brake down. After a month, they sent me a form confirming that I did not travel, but not the information that I requested.

I called them again. They told me the same thing. I explained that I had already done that. They told me to do it again. What's the point?

So I'm out $1500 because they refused to supply me information. The message is that travel insurance is useless if you fly BA.

NoFlyZone Mar 29th, 2016 04:30 AM

You are blaming BA because you couldn't find the fare components in the first place (provided to you when you booked and I presume on your receipt)? Then they apparently admitted the misread the request for a copy of the tax breakdown and you refused to resubmit the request?

And because of your own complicity you tell me not to fly with them? hahaha

jacketwatch Mar 29th, 2016 04:32 AM

You still have options. Demand to speak to supervisors and keep going up the ladder. I have had issues before that are travel related and kept going up the ladder until I got a reasonable person who llistened.

Also in this forum in a thread entitled "small claims court for travel website (orbitz)" are links to websites you can contact so keep going, don't give up!

MarthaT Mar 29th, 2016 06:58 AM

The breakdown of fees is always on my confirmation copy and ticket. Did you not keep that?

janisj Mar 29th, 2016 08:42 AM

Welcome to Fodors. You probably already HAVE all the info you need -- look for the original booking in your e-mail inbox or in the trash folder if you deleted it.

(No one is going to avoid BA because you suggest they do. That is like saying don't buy a Honda because you had a bad salesman -- wouldn't it be better to ask for suggestions than post a silly rant?)

dotheboyshall Mar 29th, 2016 01:06 PM

Assuming you booked directly with BA

1) Check the confirmation email
2) Log onto the BA website and check your booking

If it was booked through a 3rd party then ask them as that's who your contract was with.

Rich Apr 3rd, 2016 06:43 AM

First time poster with a bitch . .