Gatlinburg Accommodations? Food?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25th, 2024, 07:37 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are there any decent hotels in or close to Gatlinburg? The Schengen people continue to make it extremely difficult for my green-card wife to go to Europe so we can inject thousands of dollars into faltering economies, so I am planning to take her to the Smokies and some other domestic destinations.

I have been to Gatlinburg about a zillion times, but that was when I was a kid, so I have no idea what it's like now. I would like to take her for some unchallenging but pleasant hikes and see things like Clingmans Dome.

I doubt you can spend $300 per night on a hotel in Gatlinburg, but just in case, let's say that's our limit.

Is there any good food there other than Cracker Barrel?

Also, we might want to check out the Mountain City area, so recommendations in that general region would be appreciated.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 11:10 AM
P_M

Originally Posted by William_Baroo
Are there any decent hotels in or close to Gatlinburg? The Schengen people continue to make it extremely difficult for my green-card wife to go to Europe so we can inject thousands of dollars into faltering economies, so I am planning to take her to the Smokies and some other domestic destinations.

I have been to Gatlinburg about a zillion times, but that was when I was a kid, so I have no idea what it's like now. I would like to take her for some unchallenging but pleasant hikes and see things like Clingmans Dome.

I doubt you can spend $300 per night on a hotel in Gatlinburg, but just in case, let's say that's our limit.

Is there any good food there other than Cracker Barrel?

Also, we might want to check out the Mountain City area, so recommendations in that general region would be appreciated.
Gatlinburg is not what it used to be, and it wouldn't surprise me if you have to spend $300 a night during high season. We stayed at the Hilton, which was within walking distance of just about everything. Gatlinburg has retained some of it's charm, but Ripleys has given it a garish, Disney type vibe and not in a good way.

There is so much good food in Gatlinburg I don't know where to begin. The restaurant that stood out the most was Crocketts Breakfast Camp, which is a short walk from the Hilton. There were so many others I wish I could remember all of the names. If it comes to me later, I will post back. We also enjoyed Paula Deens in nearby Pigeon Forge.

I recommend a day trip to Cherokee, NC. Cherokee is a haven for the beautiful Native American culture and it isn't as commercialized as Gatlinburg. You have a very good chance of seeing wildlife in Cherokee, and the scenery is spectacular.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful reply.

Last time I was in Gatlinburg, Ripley's had a little museum, and that was it. I am Googling now to find out what you're writing about. Looks like that little museum metastasized.

We are not primarily interested in Gatlinburg itself. I want to show my wife a little bit of the mountains. I thought Gatlinburg would be a good place to sleep and eat.
Old Apr 26th, 2024, 02:43 PM
P_M

If you're not interested in the town or any of it's attractions, I would stay somewhere else.
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 09:53 AM

We too last stayed in the Hilton Garden Inn, very nice and just off the main drag overlooking the river. Also ate at Crockett’s, huge skillet breakfast that I don’t want to even know how many calories were in there but definitely fueled the hike up Mt. Le Conte. Also ate at the Park Grill and a BBQ place I can’t remember the name of not far from the hotel and they were pretty good. People poo poo the touristy nature of Gatlinburg, but we were there for easy access to the park for hiking and Cades Cove and it was fine for that.
Old Apr 30th, 2024, 03:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Since I was just passing through a few years ago, I stayed at a nice motel in Sevierville for less than $100. I have no interest in Dollywood or Ripley's. There's a nice large lake near Sevierville.
Old May 1st, 2024, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

I fully expect Gatlinburg to be touristy and silly, because it was that way 60 years ago. It will be a good base for touring the area, though. Nice room within walking distance of food; that's what we want.