Fodor's Expert Review Iglesia de San Francisco

Cajamarca Religious Building/Site/Shrine

Built in the 17th and 18th centuries, the Church of San Francisco sits proudly on the Plaza de Armas in front of the main cathedral. The church's two bell towers were begun in republican times and finished in 1951. The church was called the Iglesia de Indios (Church of the Indians) as indigenous peoples were not allowed to attend services at the main cathedral; many consider it to be more beautiful than the whites-only cathedral. Inside you'll find catacombs and a small museum of religious art. To the right of the church, the Capilla de la Virgen de Dolores is one of Cajamarca's most beautiful chapels. A large statue of Cajamarca's patron saint, La Virgen de Dolores, makes this a popular pilgrimage destination for local penitents.

Religious Building/Site/Shrine Museum/Gallery

Quick Facts

East side of Plaza de Armas
Cajamarca, Cajamarca  Peru

Sight Details:
Rate Includes: S/4 for museum

What’s Nearby

Find a Hotel

Related Forum Posts

Around the Web