The Northeast Sights

Forte de Nossa Senhora da Assunção

  • Av. Alberto Nepomuceno s/n Map It
  • Centro
  • Military Site

Published 06/18/2015

Fodor's Review

Built by the Dutch in 1649, this fort was originally baptized Forte Schoonemborch. In 1655 it was seized by the Portuguese and renamed after the city's patron saint, Nossa Senhora da Assunção. It was rebuilt in 1817 and is now a military headquarters. The city took its name from this fortress (fortaleza), which still has the cell where the mother of one of Ceará's most famous writers, José de Alencar, was jailed. Guided tours are led by the soldiers themselves, although few speak English.

Sight Information


Av. Alberto Nepomuceno s/n, Fortaleza, 60055-970, Brazil

Map It



Sight Details:

  • Free
  • Daily 8–11 and 2–5

Published 06/18/2015


Book A Trip



  • CARS

Map View

What's Nearby

  • Restaurants
  • Sights
  • Hotels

See all sights in The Northeast