Fodor's Expert Review Jamestown S'Klallam Village
This village on the beach near the mouth of the Dungeness River has been occupied by the S'Klallam tribe for thousands of years. The tribe, whose name means "strong people," was driven to the Skokomish Reservation on Hood Canal after the signing of the Treaty of Point No Point in 1855. However, in 1874, tribal leader James Balch and some 130 S'Klallam collectively purchased 210 acres where the town is today, and S'Klallam members have lived here ever since. A gallery here sells locally made artwork.