Fodor's Expert Review Colony House
Completed in 1741, this National Historic Landmark on Washington Square was the center of political activity in Colonial Newport. The Declaration of Independence was read from its steps on July 20, 1776, and British troops later used this structure as a barracks during their occupation of Newport. In 1781, George Washington met here with the French commander Count de Rochambeau, cementing an alliance that led to the American victory at Yorktown. The Newport Historical Society manages the Colony House and offers guided tours.