Fodor's Expert Review Old Pine Street Presbyterian Church

Society Hill Religious Building/Site/Shrine

Designed by Robert Smith in 1768 as a simple brick Georgian-style building, Old Pine is the only remaining Colonial Presbyterian church and churchyard in Philadelphia. Badly damaged by British troops during the Revolution, it served as a hospital and then a stable. In the mid-19th century its exterior had a Greek Revival face-lift that included Corinthian columns. In the 1980s the interior walls and ceiling were stenciled with thistle and wave motifs, a reminder of Old Pine's true name—Third, Scots, and Mariners Presbyterian Church, which documented the congregation's mergers. The beautifully restored church is painted in soft shades of periwinkle and yellow. In the churchyard are the graves of 100 Hessian soldiers from the Revolution—and of Eugene Ormandy, former conductor of the Philadelphia Orchestra.

Religious Building/Site/Shrine

Quick Facts

412 Pine St.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania  19106, USA


Sight Details:
Rate Includes: Free; donations accepted, Call the church office to arrange docent-led tours of the churchyard and church building

What’s Nearby