Fodor's Expert Review Headhouse Square
This open-air Colonial marketplace, extending from Pine Street to Lombard Street, is a reminder of the days when people went to central outdoor markets to buy food directly from farmers. It was first established as New Market in 1745. George Washington was among those who came here to buy butter, eggs, meat, fish, herbs, and vegetables. The Head House, a boxy building with a cupola and weather vane, was built in 1803 as the office and home of the market master, who tested the quality of the goods. Today, every Sunday from May through December, it is the site of a farmers' market, featuring about two dozen vendors selling everything from honey and flowers to pickles and pastries. On some summer weekends the square also is home to a crafts-and-fine-arts fair featuring the work of more than 30 Delaware Valley artists.