Fodor's Expert Review O. Henry Hotel
624 Green Valley Rd., Greensboro, North Carolina, 27408, USA Fodor's Choice
This boutique hotel, named for the renowned author, who grew up in Greensboro, was constructed in the late 1990s but evokes turn-of-the-20th-century charm; expect lots of wood paneling, leather sofas, mohair club chairs, and an extremely friendly staff. Its rooms are elegant and comfy, with modern conveniences as well as an old-world feel. A complimentary breakfast buffet is served in a sunny pavilion overlooking a small garden. For lunch or dinner, grab a table in the courtyard of the Green Valley Grill, a European-style restaurant with a wood-fired oven. The hotel's checkered cab and London taxis are a fun touch.
- nostalgic setting with modern comforts
- daily afternoon tea and live jazz in the evenings
- free airport shuttle (often in a fun London-style taxi)
- some rooms have views of unattractive commercial properties
- not in walking distance from Greensboro's city center