Fodor's Expert Review Trinity Church

Financial District Religious Building/Site/Shrine

Occupying a section of land originally granted in 1705 by Queen Anne of England, Trinity Church is considered one of the first and finest examples of Gothic Revival architecture in America. This Episcopal church (the third on this site) was consecrated in 1846 and remained the city's tallest structure until 1890. Among its notable features are its three sets of enormous bronze doors depicting religious and early New York history, and some of the earliest examples of American-made stained glass. The churchyard contains the city’s oldest carved gravestone (Richard Churcher, 1681); on its south side, Alexander Hamilton is buried under a white-stone pyramid, not far from a monument commemorating steamboat inventor Robert Fulton (buried in the Livingston family vault with his wife). Trinity’s nave is closed for renovation and should reopen by spring 2020; the small Chapel of All Saints remains open to visitors, along with the churchyard.

Religious Building/Site/Shrine Historical

Quick Facts

74 Trinity Pl.
New York, New York  10006, USA

212-602–0800

www.trinitywallstreet.org

What’s Nearby