Fodor's Expert Review Fort Constitution State Historic Site
The original military outpost on the island of New Castle was built on this site in 1631 and rebuilt in 1666 as Fort William and Mary, a British stronghold overlooking Portsmouth Harbor. The fort earned its fame in 1774, when patriots raided it in one of Revolutionary America's first overtly defiant acts against King George III. Munitions captured here were used against the British at the Battle of Bunker Hill. The structure was renamed Fort Constitution in 1791; the current ruins date to 1808. The fort commands a great view of nearby Portsmouth Lighthouse.