Passports & Visas

Entering the United States

Citizens of Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom who plan to stay in the United States for fewer than 90 days do not need entry visas. A valid passport, a return-trip ticket, and proof of financial solvency are required; you'll be asked to fill out the Visa Waiver Form, I-94W, upon entry. Travelers who plan to stay more than 90 days can apply for the appropriate visa at the United States embassy or consulates in their home country. Canadian citizens need valid identification but neither a passport nor a visa to enter the United States.

At Home

U.S. Embassy Visa Information Line. If you live in the U.K. contact the U.S. Embassy Visa Information Line for U.S. visa information. 01891/200290.

U.S. Embassy Visa Branch. Contact the U.S. Embassy Visa Branch for U.S. visa information; send a self-addressed, stamped envelope. 5 Upper Grosvenor Sq., London, Greater London, W1A 1AE.

U.S. Consulate General. Write the U.S. Consulate General if you live in Northern Ireland. Queen's House, Queen St., Belfast, Co. Down, BTI 6EO.

Office of Australia Affairs. Write the Office of Australia Affairs if you live in Australia. 59th fl., MLC Centre, 19–29 Martin Pl., Sydney, New South Wales, 2000.

Office of New Zealand Affairs. Write the Office of New Zealand Affairs if you live in New Zealand. 29 Fitzherbert Terr., Thorndon, Wellington, Wellington.

Passport Offices

The best time to apply for a passport, or to renew your old one, is in fall or winter. Before any trip, check your passport's expiration date, and, if necessary, renew it as soon as possible.

Australilan Citizens

Australian Passport Office. 131–232;

Canadian Citizens

Passport Office. 819/994–3500; 800/567–6868;

New Zealand Citizens

New Zealand Passport Office. 04/494–0700; 04/474–8000; 0800/225–050;

U.K. Citizens

London Passport Office. Contact the London Passport Office for fees and documentation requirements and to request an emergency passport. 0990/210–410;

U.S. Citizens

National Passport Information Center. 900/225–5674;

Previous Travel Tip


Next Travel Tip

Visitor Information


Book A Trip



  • CARS

Trip Finder