Passports and Visas

Entering the United States

Citizens of Australia, New Zealand, and the United Kingdom who plan to stay in the United States for fewer than 90 days do not need entry visas. A valid passport, a return-trip ticket, and proof of financial solvency are required; you'll be asked to fill out the Visa Waiver Form, I-94W, upon entry. Travelers who plan to stay more than 90 days can apply for the appropriate visa at the United States embassy or consulates in their home country. Canadian citizens need valid identification but neither a passport nor a visa to enter the United States.

Entering Canada

Citizens and legal residents of the United States do not need a visa to enter Canada, but a valid passport will be requested. Naturalized U.S. residents should carry their naturalization certificate. Permanent residents who are not citizens should carry their "green card." U.S. residents entering Canada from a third country must have a valid passport, naturalization certificate, or "green card."

Citizens of the United Kingdom need only a valid passport to enter Canada for stays of up to six months.

At Home

U.S. Embassy Visa Information Line. If you live in the U.K.: U.S. Embassy Visa Information Line for U.S. visa information. 01891/200290; 39p.

U.S. Embassy Visa Branch. For U.S. visa information; send a self-addressed, stamped envelope. 5 Upper Grosvenor Sq., London, Greater London, W1A 1AE.

U.S. Consulate General. Write the U.S. Consulate General if you live in Northern Ireland. Queen's House, Queen St., Belfast, Co. Down, BTI 6EO.

Office of Australia Affairs. Write the Office of Australia Affairs if you live in Australia. 59th fl., MLC Centre, 19-29 Martin Pl., Sydney, New South Wales, 2000.

Office of New Zealand Affairs. Write the Office of New Zealand Affairs if you live in New Zealand. 29 Fitzherbert Terr., Thorndon, Wellington, Wellington.

Passport Office

The best time to apply for a passport or to renew is during the fall and winter. Before any trip, check your passport's expiration date, and, if necessary, renew it as soon as possible.

Australian Passport Office. 131–232.

Passport Office. 819/994–3500; 800/567–6868.

New Zealand Passport Office. 04/494–0700; 04/474–8000; 0800/225–050.

London Passport Office. Contact the London Passport Office for fees and documentation requirements and to request an emergency passport. 0990/210410.

Previous Travel Tip


Next Travel Tip



Book A Trip



  • CARS

Trip Finder