New Orleans Sights

Madame John's Legacy

  • 632 Dumaine St. Map It
  • French Quarter
  • House/Mansion/Villa

Published 07/24/2015

Fodor's Review

Now a state museum, this is the only example of West Indies architecture and early Creole-colonial home design in the French Quarter. The large, dark rooms of the main living space occupy the second story, and a porch (called a gallery) runs along the front and back of the house, providing ventilation during the steamy summers and shelter from both sun and rain. The house has a colorful past. Its first owner, Jean Pascal, a French sea captain, was killed by Natchez Indians. The current building was constructed in 1789, following the 1788 fire that destroyed much of the Quarter. The name "Madame John's Legacy," was adopted in the late 1800s after a short story by New Orleans writer George Washington Cable. The popular tale was about Madame John, a "free woman of color" who, like many mulatto women at that time, became the mistress of a Frenchman. Having never married, the Frenchman, John (Jean), bequeathed his house and estate to her on his deathbed.

Sight Information


632 Dumaine St., New Orleans, Louisiana, 70116, USA

Map It



Sight Details:

  • Free
  • Tues.–Sun. 10–4:30

Published 07/24/2015


Book A Trip



  • CARS

Map View

What's Nearby

  • Restaurants
  • Sights
  • Hotels

See all sights in New Orleans