Fodor's Expert Review Province House National Historic Site
Editor's Note: This property is currently undergoing renovations.
This three-story neoclassical sandstone structure, completed in 1847 to house the colonial government, is a designated National Historic Site and remains the seat of the Provincial Legislature. Period rooms, now restored to their 1860s appearance, include the Confederation Chamber where representatives of the 19th-century British colonies originally gathered. A short film explains the significance of their meeting; and, in summer, there are themed interpretive programs available weekdays from 9 to 5. July through September, starting at 9:30 pm, the PEI Sound and Light Show (which focuses on Confederation and the Island) is projected onto the front of the building as well. Visitors more interested in the "hot potato" topics of today are welcome to watch from a public gallery as local politicos debate during the Spring and Fall legislative sessions.