Fodor's Expert Review Hotel La Casona del Lago
Calle Litoral on Lago , Santa Elena, Petén, Guatemala
Santa Elena's spiffiest hotel puts you in mind of an old-time lighthouse, dignified in blue and white and sitting lakeside, with splendid views of Flores across the water. From the top-floor terrace especially, views here shine. Rooms are bright and spacious, with tile floors and impressive windows. Although far from luxury level, it has standard amenities and nice spaces to lounge. The on-site restaurant will do in a pinch. It's under the same management as several other hotels in Flores, so if you can't get a room at one, you may have other choices.
- short walk or tuk-tuk ride across causeway to Flores
- views of Flores and the lake
- rooms on streetside can be noisy
- gets a good deal of group business
- expensive (for this part of Guatemala)