Fodor's Expert Review Council Square (Piața Sfatului)
This lovingly preserved town square has been holding markets since the mid-14th century. In the middle of the square is a pillory formerly used for public punishments, including those of witches. The square and surrounding Old Town are filled with medieval buildings, and these include the red-roofed former Council House, now the Historical Museum. Built in 1420, its watchtower was used to look out for approaching invaders. Nearby is the handsome Renaissance-style Merchant's House (once known as Hirscher House, named for its owners, and now a restaurant). Within the square is Strada Sforii, once a firefight's corridor and the city's narrowest street; it measures between 44 and 53 inches wide and 260 feet long. Spring and summer are when Council Square is at its liveliest, with sidewalk cafés and musical performances, but there's much to enjoy even in winter.