Vibrant Madrid, like New York, is a city that never sleeps. Yes, it's home to world-class museums and palaces, but any visitor needs to experience the nightlife as well. Get out there and do like the locals do. Pull up a seat at a tapas bar, sip wine, and forget about beauty sleep. Nightlife doesn't really get going until after midnight. If you need to clear your head, then a visit to the nearby countryside should do the trick.
Learn more about Madrid »
- Art and Culture
- No trip to Madrid is complete without a visit to the Prado museum, home to masterpieces from Goya, El Greco and Velázquez.
- The 18th-century Palacio Real features over 2,000 opulent rooms. Visitors can see the throne room and private apartments.
- Get into the madrileño way of life; nibble on tapas, sip wine in a bar along the Cava Baja, and party 'til dawn at a nightclub.
- The performing arts are celebrated with deep discounts during the Night of the Theatres in March.
- During the Salón de Gourmets, held in Madrid each April, you can sample the best of Spain's food.
- The Real Monasterio de San Lorenzo de El Escorial (31 mi/50 km northwest of Madrid) boasts an impressive art collection.
- Long the spiritual capital of Spain, Toledo perches on top of a rocky mount. These days most people come for the art. Toledo is where El Greco came into his own, and his paintings can be found in many churches here.