It would take a lifetime to experience all of Rome's treasures. On this trip, you'll only have three days—so relax, accept that you won't see it all, and head for the sights that you find the most alluring. Topping most must-see lists are the Vatican and the remains of ancient Rome—especially the Colosseum, the Forum, the Palatine Hill, and the Pantheon. Lovers of Renaissance and baroque art also should make a point of visiting the Villa Borghese.
Learn more about Rome »
- Art and Culture
- The Vatican Museums are packed with masterpieces, including the celebrated ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and the frescoed Raphael Rooms, and a vast collection of antique Greek and Roman art.
- Travel back in time to ancient Rome by exploring the Colosseum, the Forum, and the Palatine Hill.
- Some of the city's finest art is found in the Villa Borghese, where a reservation is required for admission. The museum does a wonderful job of pairing Renaissance and baroque works with ancient ones so you can compare and contrast.
- The church of is home to a marvelous chapel with paintings by Caravaggio, and shouldn't be missed.
- Ostia Antica was ancient Rome's port. It's a marvelous place for a day trip, especially when it's sunny out.