Fodor's Expert Review Palazzo dei Priori
Tuscany's first town hall was built between 1208 and 1254, with a no-nonsense facade, fortress-like crenellations, and a five-sided tower. It later served as a model for other town halls throughout the region, including Florence's Palazzo Vecchio. The Florentine medallions that adorn the facade were added after the Florentines conquered Volterra. The town leaders still meet on the first floor in the Sala del Consiglio; the room is open to the public and has a mid-14th-century fresco of the Annunciation.