Castello di Gargonza
SR73, Località Gargonza, 32 km (19 miles) southwest of Arezzo, Monte San Savino, Tuscany, 52048, Italy
Enchantment reigns at this tiny 13th-century countryside hamlet, part of the fiefdom of the aristocratic Florentine Guicciardini family and reinvented by the modern Count Roberto Guicciardini as an agriturismo. A castle, church, and cobbled streets set the stage. Guest rooms vary in style; some are decidedly more basic than others. However, high wood-beam ceilings, terra-cotta floors, and modern bathrooms are the rule throughout. Apartments have three to eight rooms each, sleeping as many as 10 people, and have as many as four baths. The hotel restaurant ($) serves typical Tuscan fare and is open daily in summer.
- romantic, one-of-a-kind accommodation in a medieval castle
- peaceful, isolated setting
- standard rooms are extremely basic
- a little out of the way for exploring the region
- private transportation is a necessity
Rate Includes: Closed last 3 wks in Jan., and Feb.
BACK TO TOP