Fodor's Expert Review Oratorio dei Buonomini di San Martino

Around the Duomo Museum/Gallery

Founded in 1441 by Antoninus, Bishop of Florence, to offer alms to the poveri vergognosi (the ashamed poor), this one-room oratory is decorated with 15th-century frescoes by the school of Ghirlandaio that vividly depict the confraternity's activities. More than 500 years later, the Compagnia dei Buonomini, or Confraternity of the Good Men, continues to perform charitable works, linking Renaissance notions of charity to the 21st century.

Museum/Gallery Religious Building/Site/Shrine

Quick Facts

Florence, Tuscany  50100, Italy

www.buonominidisanmartino.it

Sight Details:
Rate Includes: Free

What’s Nearby