Fodor's Expert Review Blackstones House
Glencar, Co. Kerry, Ireland
Padraig and Breda Breen's farmhouse is a rambling old building on the Caragh River in Lickeen Wood, where a gentle stretch of rapids leads to a salmon pool. With four golf courses within 20 minutes' drive, and fishing and hiking on the doorstep, the conversion to guesthouse was a good move. If you can happily listen for ages to birdsong and flowing water, this is for you. All rooms have river views and are fresh and clean, simply furnished with country-pine bedsteads. Breda provides a simple evening meal on request.
- genuine farmhouse hospitality
- peaceful, off the beaten track
- great value
- very simple, not a frill in sight
- rustic riverside location not to all tastes
- 15 minutes from nearest town, Killorglin
Rate Includes: Closed Nov.–mid-Mar.