Fodor's Expert Review Ballygarry House Hotel
Leebrook, Tralee, Co. Kerry, Ireland Fodor's Choice
A mile and a half outside town, this family-run hotel with 6 acres of gardens and supremely stylish guest rooms is an excellent choice if you're touring by car. The open fires and polished wooden floors in the lobby and residents' library complement the warm welcome of the friendly staff, most of whom have worked here for years. The most striking salon marries modern black-and-white photography with baronial oak walls. Up the mahogany staircase, the bedrooms in the main house are all suavely decorated; rooms in the newer wings have large bathrooms with separate shower and tub, and a more contemporary look. Eat in the formal dining room, or enjoy bar food and a bit of "craic" with the local clientele.
- next to a woodland amenity area for runners
- free access to spa and outdoor hot tub
- Brooks Restaurant is highly reputed
- no shops or cafés within walking distance
- older "classic" rooms a bit plain, worth upgrading to "superior"
- often hosts large weddings