Fodor's Expert Review Ross Lake House Hotel
5 km (3 miles) from Oughterard, Rosscahill, Co. Galway, Ireland
Built by James Edward Jackson, land agent for Lord Iveagh at Ashford Castle, this well-off-the-beaten-path, white-trim Georgian house, managed by the enthusiastic Henry and Elaine Reid, has a surprisingly stylish interior, with 19th-century antiques and welcoming open fires. Surrounded by 5 acres of colorful gardens, this country hideaway sits near a stream. Guest rooms above the converted stables are simpler and smaller than those in the suavely furnished house, but all have peaceful garden views and 20-inch flat-screen TVs, should you feel the need.
- peaceful, stylish retreat
- good restaurant on the premises
- convenient to fishing, boating, golf, and country walks
- 5 km (3 miles) out of town
- some bathrooms a bit dated
- rooms in stable block lack the style and size of ones in main house
Rate Includes: Closed Nov.–mid-Mar.