Passports and Visas

All citizens (even infants) of the United States, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand need only a valid passport to enter Greece, which is a party to the Schengen Agreement, for stays of up to 90 days. Your passport should be valid for at least three months beyond the period of your stay (the U.S. Department of State recommends six months). If you leave after 90 days and don't have a visa extension, you will be fined anywhere from €600 to €1,300 (depending on how long you overstay) by Greek airport officials, who are not flexible on this issue. Even worse perhaps, you must provide hartosima (revenue stamps) for the documents, which you don't want to have to run around and find as your flight is boarding. If you want to extend your stay beyond 90 days, there is heavy bureaucracy involved but eventually you will be able to do it for a cost of about €150. Inquire at your local police station for details.

If you are going to visit Greece, you can enroll to the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program of the U.S. Embassy in Greece. Then, you can be kept up-to-date with important safety and security announcements. Enrolling also will help your friends and family get in touch with you in an emergency.

Before your trip, make two copies of your passport's data page (one for someone at home and another for you to carry separately). Or scan the page and email it to someone at home and/or yourself.


U.S. Department of State. 877/487–2778;

Smart Traveler Enrollment Program.

Previous Travel Tip


Next Travel Tip



Book A Trip



  • CARS

Trip Finder

Fodor's Greece

View Details