Customs and Duties

Any visitor entering or leaving the EU and carrying cash of the value of €10,000 or more is required to declare that sum to the customs authorities of the Member State through which he/she is entering or leaving the EU. For persons traveling in a group the €10,000 limit applies to each person individually. The obligation to declare cash also applies to minors through their parents or legal guardians, and to mentally incompetent persons or protected adult persons through their legal representation. If you are unsure if you have to declare or not, it is important to spontaneously approach and seek advice from the authorities at the point of entry or exit of the EU.

Only one per person of such expensive portable items as cameras, camcorders, computers, and the like is permitted into Greece. It is recommended that you register these with Greek Customs upon arrival to avoid any problems when taking them out of the country again (although few visitors choose to do so). Sports equipment, such as bicycles and skis, is also limited to one (or one pair) per person. One windsurf board per person may be imported/exported duty-free.

To bring in a dog or a cat, your pet must have a pet passport and be identified by the electronic identification system (microchip) according to ISO standard 11794 or 11785. They must also have been vaccinated against rabies. Traveling pets must also be accompanied by a health certificate for noncommercial movement of pets (regulation EC No. 998/2003) endorsed by a USDA state veterinarian.

For more information on Greek Customs, check with your local Greek Consulate or the Greek Ministry of Finance in Athens, which has more-detailed information on customs and import/export regulations.

Finally, there are also limits to the amount of goods you can bring back to the United States duty-free. The U.S. Customs and Border Protection department maintains accurate information on those limits.

Contacts in Greece

European Commission Taxation and Customs Union. Taxes and Customs Union guidelines for EU countries, including Greece.

Ministry of Finance–Customs Office. 210/480–2449;

Contacts in the United States

U.S. Customs and Border Protection.

Previous Travel Tip


Next Travel Tip



Book A Trip



  • CARS

Trip Finder

Fodor's Greece

View Details