Fodor's Expert Review Residenzschloss Mergentheim
The Teutonic Knights' former castle, at the eastern end of the town, had its peak from 1527 to 1809, when the highly influential and resident Deutschmeister received guests, including the Kaiser, here. The powerful Hohenlohe family joined the Teutonic Order, founded in 1190, and gifted them this property in 1219. Although it lost its luster after the Napoleonic wars, the medieval castle has remarkable architectural features: originally, a moated castle, the building was expanded beginning in 1568 and converted to a palace. Baroque features, including an intricately carved wooden staircase, were added in the late 18th century. Post–World War II restoration work has converted the buildings into a museum that follows the history of the Teutonic Order. The castle also hosts classical concerts, lectures, and events for families and children.