Fodor's Expert Review Evangelische Stadtkirche

Ravensburg Religious Building/Site/Shrine
Free

That ecclesiastical and commercial life were never entirely separate in medieval towns is evident in this church, once part of a 14th-century monastery. The stairs on the west side of the church's chancel lead to the meeting room of the Ravensburger Gesellschaft (Ravensburg Society), an organization of linen merchants established in 1400. After the Reformation, Catholics and Protestants shared the church, but in 1810 the Protestants were given the entire building. The neo-Gothic stained-glass windows on the west side, depicting important figures of the Reformation such as Martin Luther and Ulrich Zwingli, were sponsored by wealthy burghers.

Religious Building/Site/Shrine Free

Quick Facts

Marienpl. 5
Ravensburg, Baden-Württemberg  88212, Germany

www.ravensburg-evangelisch.de

What’s Nearby

Find a Hotel

Around the Web