Fodor's Expert Review Münzhof

Altstadt Building/Architectural Site
Free

Originally built between 1563 and 1567, the ground floor was home to Duke Albrecht V's stables, the second floor to living quarters for the servants, and the third to the ducal collection of high art and curiosities (6,000 pieces by 1600). Between 1809 and 1983 it housed the Bavarian mint, and a neoclassical facade, with allegories of copper, silver, and gold, was added in 1808–09. Today, with its slightly garish green exterior on three sides, it can appear to be little more than the somewhat undistinguished home to the Bavarian Land Bureau for the Conservation of Historic Monuments, but step inside the inner arcade to see a jewel of German Renaissance architecture.

Building/Architectural Site Historical Free Family

Quick Facts

Hofgraben 4
Munich, Bavaria  80539, Germany

Sight Details:
Rate Includes: Free

What’s Nearby