Fodor's Expert Review Bell Tower
All walks down the Stradun lead to one point: the bell tower, the centerpiece of Luža Square. It was erected in 1444, but growing instability led to its closure at the start of the 20th century. After nearly 30 years, it was reopened in 1929, using the original designs. The bright white structure, one of the main symbols of the city, reaches 31 meters high and features a moon dial and the original bell from 1506. Look a little closer to see Dubrovnik's two favorite mascots tolling the hours on either side of the bell; known as Maro and Baro, the current figures are made of bronze, while the original wooden men now live in the Rector's Palace.