Fodor's Expert Review Hotel Villa Colonial
Calle Sanchez 157, between Calles Padre Billini and Arzobispo Noel, Santo Domingo, Nacional, 10210, Dominican Republic
Owner Lionel Biseau turned this circa-1920s town house into a lovely boutique hotel, keeping as much of the original structure as possible, including a second-floor veranda and old-timey, patterned tile floors. Room 8 has the most beautiful mustard-color replica tiles, which were fabricated by a Dominican artist, based on the damaged originals. The reception area features contemporary art, and a Balinese sun bed provides a comfort zone. Each room is unique, with minimalist good taste, colorful bedspreads matching the tile floors and modern bathrooms with fluffy, plush towels. Room rates include breakfast, Wi-Fi, cable TV, tax, and service.
- stylish breakfast room and bar overlooking the petite pool
- low rates make this an exceptional value
- near the tourist area but on quiet street with rooms facing an inner courtyard
- the small street sign is easy to miss and reads only "Villa Colonial"
- not haute luxury
- Wi-Fi can be intermittent—best in first-floor rooms—which are the better ones
Rate Includes: Free breakfast