Fodor's Expert Review Barceló Puerto Plata
Puerto Plata, Puerto Plata, 57000, Dominican Republic
Editor's Note: This location is no longer in operation.
With an old-world feel, gaslights, and Spanish tile work, the Barceló remains a key anchor of Playa Dorada. The building's older, solid construction assures blissful in-room quiet. Rooms (and balconies) are spacious, with a light, breezy feel despite the heavy Spanish-colonial furnishings. Upgrade to the Premium Club for breakfast in its private garden is delightful, and service special. On the hotel's long stretch of golden beach, the beach shack offers a variety of water sports, from riding the banana boat to windsurfing. Dominican families dominate on long weekends and entertainment cranks up which can be overwhelming. Midweek, Canadian, U.K., and European markets make up the majority.
- Italian and Brazilian restaurants are the better choices and dining room for the buffet is most attractive
- food quite good
- relaxing shaded pool complex and gardens
- no ocean views from hotel
- house wine is subpar
- no in-room Wi-Fi and a fee, except at Club level
- statesiders with high expectations for the price point are disappointed
Rate Includes: All-inclusive