Fodor's Expert Review The George
50 Park Terr., Christchurch, Canterbury, 8013, New Zealand Fodor's Choice
Editor's Note: This location is reported to be under new ownership and therefore this review may contain inaccuracies.
Overlooking the Avon River and Hagley Park, this small luxury hotel has spacious, modern guest rooms. Its public areas are welcoming but intimate, with lovely details such as the magnificent brass handles on the entrance door and the verdigris brass banister. The hotel boasts a fine collection of New Zealand art including works by Ralph Hotere, Bill Hammond, and Philip Trusttum. It's just a short walk from the museum, botanic gardens, and a good number of bars, restaurants, and the casino.
- consistently voted one of the country's best small hotels
- free parking and free Wi-Fi
- two excellent in-house restaurants and bar
- can get busy in the public areas
- no gym or pool, but you can use gym facilities at Hotel Montreal
- the room lighting is high-tech and takes some practice