For the ultimate beach escape where time stands still, where sand, sea, and horizon melt into each other, where there's exclusivity, total relaxation, and impeccable food and service, it would be hard to find anywhere in the world as alluring as Mnemba Island Lodge. You'll be transported from Zanzibar by 4x4 and speedboat to a deluxe, Swiss Family Robinson–style beach house—one of only 11 on the island—hidden between strips of coastal forest and the turquoise sea. Delicate coconut matting covers the walls and floors of your bedroom, dressing room, en suite bathroom, and covered veranda, which is furnished with handmade Zanzibari furniture and crisp white cotton linens. A feature of this superlative lodge is its imaginative use of recycled glass—check out the blue glass bead shower curtain, your soap dish, your champagne flute. Try to spot the rare Suni antelope, one of the tiniest in the world, scampering past your suite or while you're sipping sundowners on the beach under your private canopy.
- an on-site PADI diver center caters to all water lovers
- evenings on the beach on a private island watching the sunset are pure heaven
- gorgeous communal lounge and dining spaces on the sand
- large flocks of doves that come over from mainland can be noisy
- be aware that your luxury banda is not traditionally enclosed
- hordes of divers and tourists arrive twice a day even though the island is private (there is a hefty fine)
Rate Includes: All-Inclusive