With your tickets booked and vacation days allotted, it's time to sort out what to put in your bag for the big trip. When it comes to travel grooming on a beach vacation, some careful planning is in order. Chances are your destination will have different weather than your current hometown clime (and probably thankfully so!), and then there’s the space and portability issues to weigh. But if we’re talking beach, then there's a fail-safe selection of beauty products that are sure to have you both polished and pampered for day and night. Here are our globe-trotting picks for the 10 best beauty products for the ultimate beach vacation.
1. If your complexion has only seen fluorescent lights all winter long, a natural-looking self-tanner will have you at least looking the beach bunny part. Kate Somerville makes excellent golden formulas that come individually wrapped. A face ($45 for 12) and body ($48 for 8) combo will have you covered.
2. Before hitting the sand, strategize your skincare. SPF is a must, so look to Neutrogena's excellent dry touch formulas that won’t stick to the sand ($11.49 for SPF 55).
3. Don’t forget SPF in tender areas such as under the eyes and lips. Fresh offers several of its popular balms with a light pink tint and SPF 15 ($22.50 for Sugar Rose).
Recommended Fodor’s Video
4. The less makeup the better when dealing with sun, sand, and seawater. If you’re hesitant to go barefaced, select a couple of lasting waterproof items like Lancome’s L’Extrême mascara, which gives lashes a lift without looking too overdone ($27.50).
5. Stay hydrated both inside and out. To save packing space, look for multitasking products like this Nuxe dry oil for hair and skin, which you can slather on parched hair and limbs for a seductive glow ($29).
6. Portable wipes are a godsend when on the go and they’ll pull double duty for nighttime facial cleansing and quick cleanups on planes, buses, and automobiles. Drugstore brand Yes to Carrots recently came out with a fragrance-free option, which does a fine job for just $5.99 (for 25 towelettes).
7. For an on-the-go perk, slip a couple of individually packaged masks into your carry-on. They’ll offer a quick pick-me-up whether in the air or before a night out. For one, Bliss offers eye-specific masks, including this oxygen-boosting version with de-puffing cucumber extract and radiance-enhancing vitamin C ($54).
8. Bring along makeup that will accentuate your tan, while giving you some flexibility. The Nars multiple stick is an editor favorite for a reason: The flecked hues, like Laguna (a shimmery bronze), are wonderful highlighters that can add to cheeks, eyes, and lips ($39).
9. You can never go wrong with the basics. Skip the statement hues in favor of a flattering neutral tint like this warm rose lip gloss by Urban Decay ($20 in the color Naked).
10. Especially if your destination is on the humid side, steer clear of foundation meltdown by applying a mattifying anti-shine serum, such as this version by Boscia ($36). Smooth over the T-zone and oil-prone areas, and then dab on concealer as needed.