Search

Need advice on sightseeing in Lima

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need advice on sightseeing in Lima

Hi,

This is our first visit to South America. We have about two days in Lima. Can anyone please suggest some must-see places. Also, is it advisable to hire a guide to take us around or are is it ok for us to go around by ourselves? No one in our group speaks any Spanish though. Thanks.
Old Aug 24th, 2008, 02:53 PM
P_M

The San Francisco Cathedral was my favorite must-see spot in Lima. I especially liked the crypts, but be prepared to see many, many bones and skulls!! 8-X I also suggeset going to the MiraFlores district to see the coastline. Don't miss the Park of Love.

There's no problem with going around on your own, but when I visit a city for the first time I usually hire a guide just to get an overview of the city. I did that in Lima and it was time and money well spent. The hotel can hook you up with a guide and prices are quite reasonable. I never felt rushed by my guide, but you can always go back later to any place where you would like to spend more time.

I've heard the night-time tour of Lima is great but I didn't have a chance to do it.
Old Oct 26th, 2008, 11:02 PM

Hi, well, even though Lima is more considered an stopover due to chaos and noise, it is really worth to take time and see it. Must see places I can recommend; Plaza de Armas, Plaza San Martin, Gold Museum, San Francisco Convent, Miraflores central and coast area, Barranco (bohemian neighborhood), Callao (Old Port) and La Punta (beach resort), Iquisition Museum, China Town...well there are a lot. I think it would be much better to hire a guide, the city has a lot of history that you would miss on your own. If you are active, doing a bike tour (www.biketoursoflima.com) is the best option to cover a lot of distance in short time. If you are the lazy type, try an open-top bus (www.mirabusperu.com) or (http://www.city-sightseeing.com/inde...tinations=Lima) are good options for you. Do not forget trying a ceviche (raw fish) and a lomo saltado (beef, onions, tomatos and chips) plus a pisco sour or chicha morada (purple corn drink)..just fantastic.. Good luck
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 07:12 AM

limap:

The gold museum you mentioned, is that Museo Arquelogica Rafael Larco Herrera on Av Bolivar?

If not, what is the name and where is it?

Thanks,

Woodie
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 10:42 AM

Also enjoyed the San Francisco Cathedral and the Rafael Larco Herrera Museum --- http://www.museolarco.org

Another interesting site is the ruins of Huaca Pucllana -- they give guided tours of the site.
http://www.vivatravelguides.com/sout...uaca-pucllana/

When I was there last year, we did part of our Lima tour on our own, taking taxis to the sites we wanted to see such as Larco Museum & Huaca Pucllana; and then part of our trip included a 1/2 day city tour that took us to San Francisco Cathedral, a stop at the El Parque del Amor (Park of Love) -- http://www.delange.org/LoveParkLima/LoveParkLima.htm
as well as a few other stops.
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 01:45 PM

Hi
I would def get a guide. One of my fave places is magdalena, el mercado. The market, there are lots of rickshaws , street activity. Wouldnt go there unless you spoke spanish or had a guide.
there are really good artisan markets on "La Marina in San Miguel" or try the ones in Petit Thouars in Miraflores. I have spent about 8months in Lima and never been robbed, mugged, seen any, and having travelled all over the city going to the cerros, but it does happen, so just have your wits about you.
If you use taxis(dont get yellow ones, more dangerous) get in, lock doors, put bags on floor out of sight(the locals always do this), dont use ATMs @ night. Basic precautions and youll be grand. I love Lima, i love teh people and the buzz of the streets- amazing!!
Have a ball
kirsty
Old Oct 27th, 2008, 09:18 PM

We took a walking tour from the Office de Informacion Turistica Municipalidad de Lima one block west of the Plaza de Armas. We got a 3 hour tour for free (on certain days of the week). The Museo de la Inquisicion, Museo del BCR (with a fabulous Inca gold display) and the Convento de San Francisco (which contains catacombs) were our "must sees".

At night, when we generally didn't venture too far from the hotel, there is a new must see. Circuto Magico del Agua. This fantasic water fountain display (13 totally different fountains) is lighted at night in a magical display. There are laser shows, and it is listed in the Guiness Book of World Records. Check them out at:
www.emilima.com.pe. We took a taxi to the entrance and then checked for an entrance where taxis congregated and found one to take us back to the hotel.

We are not city folk, but due to a last minute change in plans found ourselves in Lima for a week. We found so much to do and see, from the changing of the guard and lowering of the flags at the Governor's palace to the above mentioned favorites. Plus great food!

Whatever you choose, it will add to your Peru experience. Enjoy!
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 12:35 PM

I also vote for the San Francisco cathedral (just be aware that the catacombs can be a bit overwhelming -- I was having a bit of breathing trouble toward the end) and the Huaca Pucllana archaeological site.

Also, I recommend having dinner at La Dama Inana restaurant at the Larco Mar shopping center, right on the edge of a cliff overlooking the ocean. (I believe this is in the Miraflores district.)

I know it was probably very touristy, but we enjoyed Lima-specific foods and watched a variety of dancers perform. The dances were great!
Old Oct 28th, 2008, 03:31 PM

Second and third the rec to see Larco Herrera - a beautiful museum and grounds.

We had a wonderful dinner at the lovely restaurant that overlooks the Huaca Pucllana ruins (lit up at night)forget its name, but its the one that's there.

If you want something good but a little more casual there was also a nice little cafe right down the street from the fancier restaurant. Forget its name also, but would be easy to find. We had a drink there while waiting for the other restaurant to open - and the menu, food, and atmosphere all looked very appealing. .
Old Nov 14th, 2008, 08:55 PM

Since your time is limited, I'd definitely have a guide for at least one of these days.

Read information regarding Lima and decide where you'd like to go and experience.

Last year I was there for 3 days onward to Machu Picchu,but I was with a group of 11 folks, excellent size. We toured all over the place; I liked everything about the city, but I can't specially recall the musts.

My materials are somewhere amongst other materials, so I cannot consult them to give you some advice, but I'd have a guide if I were you. ...should not cost too much, as I found it not to be expensive here.