Search

Hurricane Emily damage?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2005, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hurricane Emily damage?

Anybody have info on what the damage is looking like in Playa del Carmen and/or Cancun?
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 08:02 AM

go to www.stormcarib.com. click on mexico/cozumel and you will find the latest reports and pictures from locals.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 11:58 AM

We have a number of posters on the scuba D2D board who live in Coz and this is what they report.

Most of the damage in Cozumel is on the south end of the island. The Iberostar will be closed for several months. Downtown Coz has electric now. Cancun is mostly downed trees and signs. Playa got hit pretty hard and the Iberostars there are damaged altho the Tucan is reportedly the least damaged and I think the Paraiso the most. Cancun airport is reopened but I don't think Cozumel is.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 12:32 PM

Hello tigerhawk. Could you please give me info on how to look at the D2D board? My wife and I have a deposit on a trip to the Iberostar Paraiso Lindo.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:09 PM

Any info on the condition of Maroma? I too have air and hotel paid in points.
Old Jul 19th, 2005, 07:23 PM

try

http://dive.scubadiving.com/talk/list.php?1
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 09:29 AM

Maybe this will help:

These are the conditions at some of the all inclusive resorts in the Mayan Riviera. I will update this thread as I get more information. Some of what I post comes directly from the hotel and some comes from travelers observations. I can't guarantee all of this info...but this is what I have been told. At this point, information is somewhat hard to come by. I should have better and more reliable info later this week (I hope!). If the resort you're concerned about isn't listed, then I don't have any info at this time. If anyone has any confirmed info to add, feel free to post it.

As of 7/18/05

Riu Palace
8 ton buoy on the beach. Vegetation stripped. 1st floor rooms flooded. Glass above lobby bar broken.

Riu Yucatan
Lots of debris. Sand around building blocks. Large trees in pool. Beach 1/2 the size it was.

Riu Tequila
Pool is closed. Damage to gardens. 60% of the restaurants and bars are open. Gradually getting back to operations.

Secrets Excellence
Damage to some windows in the Excellence Club. Excellence Club area is closed for a few days. 3 of 7 restaurants have damage and are closed. Should accept guests by Tuesday.

Secrets Capri
In a clean up mode, minimal damage. 100% functional.

Sunscape Puerto Aventuras
A few rooms are damaged. Two outdoor restaurants are damaged. Still assessing damages but resort is NOT open. Guests will be sent to Dreams in Cancun, Secrets Excellence or Secrets Capri.
*Update 7/19*
Closed 1-2 months

Sunscape Tulum
Broken windows in oceanfront rooms and outdoor restaurant. 1 restaurant lost it's roof. Beach erosion. Open by 7/20.

*NOTE* Even though they are adults only properties, both Capri and Excellence ARE accepting families that have been displaced by the closing of the Sunscape Puerto Aventuras for as long as necessary.

Iberostar Maya
Debris. Lobby damaged. Beach erosion.

Iberostar Paraiso Beach/Del Mar
2 restaurants are damaged. Lobby bar damaged. Beach erosion. Kids club and convention center closed.

Iberostar Tucan/Quetzal
Least amount of damage of all the IB*'s. Pool and beach has debris. Kids club and restaurant damaged.

It will take about a week to fully clean up the above IB* resorts but they are accepting guests.

Iberostar Cozumel
Badly damaged. Closed for several months.

Occidental Grand Cozumel
Closed until December.

Palladium
Closed. Should reopen in a week, perhaps a little more.
*update 7/19*
Hotel is open but operating on limited facilities, as requested by Apple Vacations that they stay open. The jungles and lobbies were destroyed. Lobby on Colonial side should reopen in two weeks. The theater palapa is destroyed, theater should be open in two weeks. Only one bar (disco) open right now, other bars will reopen in a few days. New beach bar is OK. Other beach bar lost it's ceiling. All beach palapas and main pool palapas are down. Main pool closed, will reopen when repairs have been made. Adult pool and spa pool have some palapas left. Adult pool and spa pool are empty and will reopen after repairs to the tile are made...and this will be before the main pool which will take longer to repair. Palm trees on beach severly damaged. Windows in kids club destroyed. Most restaurants are fine, and open.

Omni Puerto Aventuras
Closed until 8/8.

Copacabana
The eye passed over this hotel. No roof in the lobby. Not sure if they are closed but I would imagine so.

Bahia Principe Tulum/Akumal
Closed for 15 days (?)

El Dorado Seaside Suites
Water damage. vegetation stripped. Open by 7/21, will be 75% operational.
*Update 7/19*
Will reopen on 7/26

Azul Resort and Spa
Open and accepting guests

El Dorado Royale
Open by 7/21, will be 100% operational.

Reef Coco Beach
Lots of debris. Lots of roof damage. Most of roof and lots of sand in the pool. Buffet restaurant destroyed.

Barcelo Maya
No power or water. No phones. Theater almost destroyed. Many chandliers fell. Lots of downed trees. *Should* be up and running in 72 hours.

Aventura Spa Palace
Closed until further notice. Guests moved to Moon Palace or Palace properties in Cancun.
*Update 7/19*
Closed until October (?)

Xpu Ha Palace
Closed for 8-10 weeks. Guests moved to Moon Palace or Palace properties in Cancun.
*Update 7/19*
Closed until October (?)

Akumal Beach Resort
Could be closed for 2 months (?)

Gala Playacar
Open on 7/25

Viva Maya and Viva Azteca
Will reopen on 8/18
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 03:32 PM

thanks Ally, great report. I've been trying to get a damage report about the marina at Puerto Adventuras and the condos out in front where we stay. It sounds like the area from Xpu-ha to Puerto Adventuras got hit the hardest. The eyewall went in at the Copacabana you say but I can't remember where this hotel is located.
Old Jul 20th, 2005, 06:09 PM

Thanks Ally for the detailed report. Greatly appreciate it!
Old Jul 21st, 2005, 07:43 AM

As I was just posting on another thread, it's very generally safe to say that things are much better in Playa del Carmen and the immediate surroundings than in places like Akumal or down the road to Tulum, which is the area where the storm center made landfall. The majority of beachfront hotels in central PDC were already operating Tuesday, though some said they would not open for new guests until Wednesday (yesterday). We for example suffered no broken glass whatsoever and just some minor palapa damage, and our neighbors report more or less the same.

There does seem to be some considerable damage (as you might imagine) to palapa structures, and as many of the larger AI resorts (such as in Playacar) feature these and use them especially to serve food/drinks, they would not be able to reopen _as AIs_ until they're rebuilt. The general impression is that in the cases of many of those resorts, however, that may be the biggest problem, along with just general cleanup and removal of downed brush and the like, and not some sort of larger-scale destruction of other structures on the properties.

Steve
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 06:04 PM

Here's another link to the hotels status
http://www.si-mexico.com/hotel_status.htm

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 05:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bill2222,
The Iberostar Paraiso resorts are up and running. For great info go to
http://www.iberostar-board.com/boards/index.php
Old Jul 26th, 2005, 05:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a recent post from the Iberostar-boards from someone who is at the Paraiso Lindo right now.

"We are on our honeymoon at the lindo and it is fantastic. you wouldn´t even know there was a hurricane. the staff is working their butt off to get things up and running. when we first got here on the 19th, the swim up bar pool, beach and kids area wasn´t open. all are now. the beach had huge improvemen...unbelievable what they can do!!! if you come, make sure to take care of the staff everywhere you go....they will remember you...respect them and they will respect you!"

Old Jul 26th, 2005, 07:23 PM

Schmerl=
Thanks so much for that Iberostar website. Wish I would have found that one sooner!
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 03:30 AM

Good to see personal reports coming back confirming for people that Playa actually was not hit very hard by the storm. I've been here throughout and keep saying this, but it seems that people don't want to believe it.

Also it's important to distinguish carefully what location is being discussed. People keep asking me about the Barcelo, for example. I have no idea about the Barcelo, because it is well outside of Playa and further south, much closer to where the storm hit with full force. There may well be accurate reports discussing serious damage at the Barcelo, Akumal Beach Resort and others down that way. But those are not in PDC, folks!

Steve
Old Jul 27th, 2005, 05:30 AM

Steve, so glad to hear everything is ok at PM. We were there in January and plan a return trip early 06. We have so many great memories of our stay with you and were really worried when we saw the path headed directly towards you.
PM rocks!