Search

Need hotel near SJU for a night

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17th, 2008, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need hotel near SJU for a night

Greetings!
We are planning a March trip to USVI and will need to spend a night in San Juan for an early morning connection flight to St Thomas.

We arrive on a Wednesday night [3/11] into SJU at 9 pm and have a p am flight to STT the next morning.

Looking for a nice, clean, convenient place to spend the night that will be a close taxi ride to airport.

Along the same line of thought - if we try to get someplace on Priceline, what area would we bid??

Thanks!
Deb
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 10:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The Isla Verde area would be the closest to the airport - about a 5 minute taxi ride.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 10:59 AM

Nothing more convenient than the Best Western right in the airport. The rooms are teensy, but they are reasonably priced and clean. I've stayed once for a midnight arrival followed by a 9 a.m. departure, and it fit the bill.

For a longer stay, I like Isla Verde. If you use Priceline, use the "resort" category in San Juan, but that might take you a little further out (like Condado) than you might want to go.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 03:26 PM
cdw

Go with the Best Western in the airport terminal. That makes the trip a breeze.
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Best Western is $220. Seems like alot for less than 12 hours.

Any input on Coral Princess Inn? It gets very good reviews on tripadvisor.

Deb
Old Nov 17th, 2008, 06:56 PM

We are staying at Intercontinental on Isla Verde for one night coming back from Virgin Gorda. I got a decent price from Hotwire by plugging in 4 stars and airport although it's even cheaper now! Good luck!
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 02:32 AM

Hi Deb! Saw your shoutout in the Lounge.

WOW. I took a quick look in Expedia and those hotel prices are outrageous.

I am almost embarrassed to say I don't know anything about the room quality of hotels in San Juan.

The airport is in Isla Verde but Condado is much nicer to walk through and has lots of little restaurants and bars. You should have no problem finding something to eat around 10:00PM if you want and are not too tired.

For an early flight in the morning it would make no difference to stay in either location. There are flat cab fees between the aiport and Condado, Isla Verda and Old San Juan. Condado to IV/Airport will be against traffic anyway. OSJ could be a bit more inconvenient but still completely doable.

In the resort category I like the Intercontinental and the El San Juan. My employer uses the Intercontinental for visiting business travelers. Both have gorgeous locations which you will not be able to enjoy in such a short layover. Many restaurant options but certainly steep prices.

I drive often by The Coral Inn and the location is certainly OK. It is in Condado (which I prefer over Isla Verde) and is slightly off the main drag but you will certainly find countless dining options.

Coral by the Sea Hotel (IV) has a good location. Right next to the airport. So close that I would ask about how they sound-proof their rooms. But I am not sure about the rooms. Compared to the others the price looks a bit suspicious.

Also in Isla Verde I like the bar at The Beach House Hotel but I have NO idea of how the rooms are. Very loungy, South Beach-style place.

The Howard Johnson Hotel - Isla Verde has a great rooftop italian restaurant, The Piccola Fontana. It has gorgeous views to the lagoon. I have celebrated an event or two there. The hotel public areas seem to be well maintained.

You might want to take a look at the El Canario Inn, The Wind Chimes Inn. They are all well-established guest houses.

Sorry I could not be more helpful!

Old Nov 18th, 2008, 03:38 AM

Debits- in a similar flight situation last year we overnighted at Tres Palmas Inn because we did not want to spend a lot on a quick overnight. It was convenient and clean. It seems like it was maybe 10 minutes to the airport. www.trespalmasinn.com
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 06:22 AM
bc

We stayed at the Coral Princess this past March and loved it. It was clean and a real bargain. We loved the location; it was great for us since we stayed a couple of days pre-cruise. Since you are only there for 12 hours, I don't know if it is the best choice or not. I can't recall the cab fare between there and the airport...you would need to factor that in. Maybe you could do better somewhere closer to the airport but, if not, it is certainly a fine hotel to stay in. The staff was friendly and we enjoyed our stay.
Old Nov 18th, 2008, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all. I booked the Coral Princess for $99 a night plus tax.

Looks like it will work for us.

Deb
Old Nov 20th, 2008, 05:21 PM
cdw

Just remember even if the room is fairly inexpensive, you are still going to have $40 - $60 in cab fare back and forth. We have done the Best Western and the Courtyard Marriott. The Best Western was actually cleaner and less worn and we did not have to mess with a cab. You just walk out of the terminal and into the hotel, very easy.