Search

What to do in Grenada in September?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What to do in Grenada in September?

A few things to get out of the way before we start:
1- Yes, I know it's hurricane season. I will be getting travel insurance.
2- I'm visiting a friend at school, and this was the best time to visit, before exams descend upon her.
3- I need to get my mind off a lingering problem.

Having never been to the Caribbean on my own before, I'm a bit anxious about what to do while I'm there. I am quite a little hiker, but am afraid of snakes. I'll be staying in the St. George's area.

I've already looked on TripAdvisor for ideas on what to do while there, but the pickings are sparse, and I'll be there for a whole week. Help me get over my anxiety of being bored. I tried hanging out by pools and beaches previously, and it's not worked out so well because I get bored. Of course, if this is par for the course on these islands, well, I guess knowing now is better than finding out there. Then at least I can go prepared.

Thanks for your help...
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 04:39 PM

Things to do:
Go to the market in St. George's on a Saturday morning and poke around. Buy some fresh spice necklaces.

Take an island tour. Visit some of the spice processing plants, the Grenada chocolate factory (certified organic!), the rum distilleries. I know folks have great things to say about Mandoo, but we also like Mac from Caribbean Horizons.

Go to La Sagesse, spend the day there, and have lunch.

Take a daytrip to Carriacou. It's a much different pace than mainland Grenada.

Take a daytrip to the Tobago Cays. Pricey but worth it for the scenery. Some folks say the snorkeling is great, but on our visit we did not find that it to be so. It could have just been an off-day.

Walk around St. Georges and the Carenage.

Take a hiking tour with Telfor Bedeau. He is a legend for hiking in Grenada. (I'm afraid of snakes too, so I've not hiked there. But I'm also not much of a hiker. ;-) )

Best of all, Enjoy your trip to this beautiful island!!
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi mymoosie,

Thanks for your help. I've tried to search for Grenada on the forums, but even with the reboot from last night, it's still fussy.

I'm not much of a snorkeler. In fact, I'm not much of a swimmer. But I do love the water, so that suggestion about checking out Carriacou sounds interesting to me regardless.

Old Aug 19th, 2008, 05:57 PM

Hi mcnyc,

Someone just posted this great article in the grenadatravelforum (one of the best sources of Grenada info IMO). It was a well-written article, a great read. I actually literally ran out to the store to get a hard copy just because.
http://www.concierge.com/cntraveler/...4?pageNumber=1

Telfor's contact info is listed in the article.

I also forgot that you can go see the waterfalls.
Old Aug 19th, 2008, 06:22 PM

Hmm. "Sparse" is definitely not a word I'd apply to things available to do in Grenada. All of mymoosie's suggestions are great, as usual. Grenada has practically no end of things to do, but a lot of what it has to offer depend on your willingness to get out there and explore on your own beyond the usual touristy things.

If you're lucky, you'll be on Grenada on a Saturday when there's a hash going on ("drinkers with a hiking problem" they call themselves), but even if there's not, there will be a lot of other places to explore, many of which will be perfectly safe for you to hike to on your own.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 09:10 AM
RAB

In several trips to Grenada I have never seen a snake and never heard anyone mention them. Snakes are not generally of concern on Caribbean islands. You should be able to do all the hiking you want, but may need a guide for some trails. You can take tours to a variety of places of interest, or rent a car and explore at your own pace. The Grenadian people are very friendly and helpful. As for hurricanes, Grenada is off the usual track, so the probability is a lot lower than for much of the Caribbean.
Have you checked out http://www.grenadaexplorer.com/Homepageeng.htm
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 04:47 PM

Well, actually there are snakes on Grenada as there are on many Caribbean islands. But the region's main baddie of the reptile family, the fer de lance, doesn't live on Grenada.

That being said, I wouldn't let a fear of snakes interfere with a desire to go hiking on Grenada.
Old Aug 20th, 2008, 05:24 PM
NM

We took an organized 1/2 day trip to the 7-Sisters. You don't have to deal with driving--get to see scenery and it's an enjoyable hike through the rainforest to a wonderful series of waterfalls.
Old Aug 21st, 2008, 02:53 PM

Adventure Jeep Tours offer a selection of activities including biking and tubing. Chances of you coming across a snake are pretty remote.
You might find some other activities on this page that would be of interest:
http://www.destinationcaribbean.net/...mp;parentid=86
Enjoy!
Old Aug 25th, 2008, 07:52 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions here. I also went to a cruise line's cruise excursion site to see what might be of interest to me while I'm there, just for other ideas.

My friend is already making plans to take me to the 7 Sisters falls, I'm going to head off to a rum and sugar plantation while I'm there, and I'm taking your collective suggestions with me next week.

I can't wait!