Nevis trip report March 2007

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2007, 11:04 AM
cw
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nevis trip report March 2007

Hi all,

Just returned from one week in Nevis. Flights were all on time or early and we had no problems at all (BOS-SJU-NEV and return on AA. We stayed again this year at the Hermitage and enjoyed it as much as last year. The owners and staff are friendly, efficient, welcoming, and warm. If you want a taste of the traditional Caribbean, I highly recommend it. We stayed in Pasture House, a traditional West Indian cottage. It had a living room with a basic kitchen, bathroom, bedroom with a four-poster dark wood bed with mosquito netting (BTW, never saw any mosquitoes in or out of the net), and a terrific covered verandah with table and chairs, comfortable armchair, and hammock. We were occasionally visited by monkeys and by an early-morning donkey family. www.hermitagenevis.com

Most days found us at the beach: Nisbet, Oualie, and Pinney’s. We had lunches at Nisbet (chicken roti), Oualie (fish tacos), Chevy’s Beach Bar (spicy jerk chicken sandwich and spicy fish sandwich), and Double-Deuce (fresh-caught wahoo). We found the food at Nisbet and Oualie better than last year, and loved the two new places on our list: Chevy’s and Double Deuce.

We had most dinners at the Hermitage, but had two fine evenings out. One at Montpelier ($65 US for 3 courses), where you arrive early for cocktails in their very attractive great room, and snack on delicious passed appetizers. The staff was extremely professional and pleasant. Another night we ate at Double Deuce (now managed by the former executive chef at Montpelier). The food and the set-up are terrific with the blinking lights of Basseterre in the background. Take a walk on the beach before or after your dinner. I had the mahi mahi, and I think it was THE best I ever had. Could not have been fresher and cooked any better.

Did a bit of shopping in Charlestown, visited the Alexander Hamilton birthplace, and again this year spent a lovely half-day sailing and snorkeling on the Star. www.starmonkeys.com Our car rental was again through Noel’s and was arranged by the Hermitage and delivered to us the morning after our arrival.

Once again the trip was too short—but you know all about that.

CW
Old Mar 9th, 2007, 02:19 PM

The Hermitage is wonderful! The place is so relaxing and casual. Thanks for the trip report.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 06:34 AM
iw

Yeah, a Nevis trip report. Thanks for the wonderful information.I can't wait to hit Chevy's in June. I have not been to Hermitage, so I will try to make it there this year. We have a short stay in Nevis before heading on over to St. Kitts.
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 08:11 AM

cw - thanks for the report. Heading to OSJ in the morning and back to Nevis on Wed. Yeah! Glad you had a good trip
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 08:54 AM
cw
Original Poster

Thanks for your comments mymoosie and iw. MIM have a terrific time. Everyone was talking about the upcoming World Cup Cricket matches in St. Kitts.

I heard the Scottish team is staying in Nevis at the FS.

CW
Old Mar 10th, 2007, 09:27 AM

Thanks for the info. That island is on my list of islands to get to.
Old Mar 11th, 2007, 06:28 AM

THanks for the trip report--sounds like you had a great time!
Old Mar 12th, 2007, 01:21 PM

Enjoyed reading your trip report. Glad you had a good time.

LIZ
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:48 AM
cw
Original Poster

Thanks LvSun, ej, and Liz.

Here are a few photos from the trip:

The first album is just the vervet monkey troupe that visited one afternoon:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...x=0&y=-v2j 6h5

the second album contains some general photos:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...x=0&y=-v2j 6h5

CW
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:54 AM
cw
Original Poster

Whoops! sorry.

Second link should be:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...0&y=o03wda
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 08:59 AM
cw
Original Poster

Third time's a charm.

Link to monkey photos:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&y=-v2j6h5
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 01:04 PM

Nice photos!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 04:49 PM

cw - Thank you for posting your photos. I love the monkey photos! You are so lucky to have seen so many of them. Were they at the Hermitage property, or just beyond the fence? We stayed in the Pink House but only for one night and they were running around our roof in the early morning. It was neat!
Old Mar 14th, 2007, 06:38 PM
cw
Original Poster

Mymoosie,

We were told when we arrived that the monkeys hadn't been there for about three weeks. Our first morning they returned and made quite a racket on Pink House and Blue House.

These photos were taken one afternoon in the field right in back of Pasture House (a former garden, I think). I was taking a nap, and they woke me up. I took all the photos from our back verandah.

It's so amazing to see these wild animals on their own. It makes it so special.

CW
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 05:46 AM

Enjoyed your trip report! Your photos are especially clear and well done - it seems you had wonderful weather - sweet!
We were on Nevis a year and a half ago, and Double Deuce had just opened. Their attitude was realy welcoming, so it's nice to see that they're still going strong.
Love those monkeys!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:12 AM
iw

Where is the Double Deuce? Isn't it close to Sunshine's and Chevy's?

Loved the report and pics!
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 06:22 AM
cw
Original Poster

Joan, thanks for the picture compliments. We did have terrific weather. It was showery, off and on, for only a few hours one afternoon.

iw: the Double Deuce is at the Charlestown end of Pinney's Beach. Probably a 10-15 minute walk to Chevy's and Sunshine's. It's right next to the Pinney's Beach Hotel, which is closed. The driveway to Double Deuce is right opposite the entrance to Seafood Madness.

CW
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Great Information! We are going to Nevis in April. Do you recommend renting a car then? Is it best to get it for the whole week? We like to go to different restaurants and figured we would need wheels, even though the island seems small. We will also take your recommendation for the Star. How much was the half day cruise?
Thanks!
RB
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:07 AM

mgbgill - Rent a car for all or most of your stay. You didn't mention where you are staying but things are pretty spread and there probably isn't going to be too much within walking distance of your hotel, especially if you want to "dine around". Taxis will get expensive 92 r/t's a day with tip to almost anywhere will cost you about the same as a rental car. Besides with a car you'll be able to come and go as you please, explore areas you can't get to "on-foot". Budget for a rental car - you'll be glad you did.
Old Mar 15th, 2007, 08:38 AM
cw
Original Poster

RB: I agree with Traveller, definitely rent a car. It will give you more freedom, and it is very easy to drive on Nevis. It's a small island, and there's almost no chance of getting lost (at least for long!).

They are continuing to upgrade the main island road and utilities. This won't affect you because the road is done between Nesbit and Golden Rock going counter-clockwise. We did drive all around on Sunday when they weren't working just to see the whole island. There are blue historical markers as you drive along--take the detour and read the signs--very interesting. Another bonus for the Sunday morning drive, is that you pass many churches with open windows and you hear the lovely voices of the choir and congregation.

My husband paid for our "Star" trip but I think it was about $125 pp.

Where are you staying?

CW

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -