Which part of the island?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2004, 04:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're (2 adult couples) considering a villa in St. Thomas in May. Which part of the island would be more desirable? Some of the villas look too good to be true. We want something very nice, close to a beach (which one?), and not too remote. Thanks in advance, Susan
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 04:43 PM

Susan,
May I ask why you've selected St. Thomas? Its really not a top choice for places, very densely populated and a lot of crime. If you are looking for a nice villa I've rented on alot of the islands...let me know what type of island and rental you might be looking for and I may be able to suggest a better place.
Old Oct 28th, 2004, 05:46 PM

Try St.John instead of Thomas. It's much nicer and only a short ferry ride from St.Thomas
Old Oct 30th, 2004, 07:03 PM
az

check out mclaughlin/anderson villa rentals:

http://www.mclaughlinanderson.com/

full videos plus text re. proximity to beaches, shopping, etc. are available for dozens of villas they manage.
we've dealt with them several times, and they are friendly, professional, attentive to detail, and just a pleasure to do business with.
our experience with several villas on st. thomas has been great, and we will try to answer any specific questions you might have.
Old Nov 1st, 2004, 10:29 AM
mm

Hey Traveler863,

Can you provide some reliable information to support your following two statements:
Its really not a top choice for places, very densely populated and a lot of crime.

Regards,

mm
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 11:04 AM
mm

ttt

Traveler863 would you please respond to my previous inquiry?

Thanks,

mm
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 01:28 PM

MM.
Those are known facts, if you want a reliable source I suggest you do your own homework...there are plenty of internet resources.
Old Nov 2nd, 2004, 05:39 PM

MM

Settle down!! Everyone is entiltled to his/her own opinion. Do you have info that negates that claim? Larger cities around the world have the same problem with crime. Fact of life. Some places are better than others.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 08:07 AM
mm

Howdy brenandg,

What do you mean 'settle down'? I just asked a question and did so in a polite manner.

Travler863 - come on now. You made a pretty dramatic statement and I wanted to know why you made it. Remember the maniac what was all in a tizzy over the Bahamas? He was a jerk but he was run out of town for making unsubstantiated claims, similar to what you did. You make a claim and then tell ME to support it? That's not how it works. For example, what does 'a lot of crime' mean to you? Were you assaulted there? I hope not but if so I could understand your feelings.

I've been to St. Thomas 3 times as well as numerous other islands, not to mention every continent other than Antartica so I have some perspective.

Please do not take offense where none is offered.

mm
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 12:19 PM

MM,
I sensed from your first post you were just chomping at the bit to start a "tizzy", which you've confirmed with your latest post. Have it at, however I will not be a party to it.

If you want to run someone out of town, pick on someone else. I take offense to be compared with some "jerk" on some Bahamas thread. You apparently have not one clue the extent of my travels. And yes, if you disagree with what I said then YOU can support that with a "reliable" source.
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:04 PM
mm

Traveler863,

I simply asked if you could provide some references for the claim that St. Thomas has a lot of crime and is not a top choice.

How about this? I declare that there is no crime on St. Thomas. Need I justify that statement or would it be your job to refute it?

You are taking this personal for some unknown reason. You have presented yourself as an authority so your word should count for something. If we are to respect your advice shouldn't it be based on facts?

In any case, I found STT to be filled with friendly people and I have not experienced or heard of anyone else (tourist) being victimized by criminals. I merely want to know why you would knock STT in such an arbitrary manner.

Regards,

mm
Old Nov 3rd, 2004, 01:56 PM

MM,
I beleive you have taken personally the fact that I "knocked" STT and for valid reasons, at least to me. You cannot dispute the fact that STT is densely populated and due primarily to that fact has higher crime, its not rocket science. There are quieter, safer places to go in the Caribbean...A FACT. Now whether that is something that is important to YOU is an entirely different discussion and COMPLETELY one's individual opinion.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 06:51 AM
mm

Okay, let's try this one last time:

Please note that use of all-caps is done merely to differentiate between Traveler863's notes and my own. I am not shouting. :^)

Your wrote:
I beleive you have taken personally the fact that I "knocked" STT and for valid reasons, at least to me. - NOT TRUE. I HAVE NOT PERSONAL INTEREST IN STT. MY WIFE AND I LIKED IT THAT'S ALL.

You cannot dispute the fact that STT is densely populated and due primarily to that fact has higher crime, its not rocket science. - NOT ROCKET SCIENCE AND NEVER DISPUTED BY ME.

There are quieter, safer places to go in the Caribbean...A FACT. - COULD NOT AGREE MORE AND NEVER WAS THIS IN DOUBT.

Now whether that is something that is important to YOU is an entirely different discussion and COMPLETELY one's individual opinion. - IRRELIVANT TO THIS STRING. YOU SAID THERE WAS A LOT OF CRIME IN ST. THOMAS BUT NEVER BACKED IT UP OR EXPLAINED WHAT 'A LOT OF CRIME' MEANT.

YOUR RELUCANCE TO ADDRESS THE BLANKET STATEMENT YOU MADE ABOUT CRIME IS THE NUB OF THE QUESTION AND YOU HAVE BEEN DODGING IT. REMINDS ME OF THE KID WHO MAKES A CLAIM AND SUPPORTS IT BY SAYING 'IT'S A KNOWN FACT' OR 'EVERYONE KNOWS THIS'.

RATHER THAN BEING DEFENSIVE WHY NOT JUST ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU PAINT WITH A BROAD BRUSH.

Regards,

mm
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 11:04 AM

MM,
Please note the use of all-caps is because I am shouting

YOU MAKE ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE. YOU AGREE STT IS DENSELY POPULATED, HAS HIGHER CRIME AND THAT THERE ARE QUIETER, SAFER PLACES TO GO BUT YET YOU WANT TO DEBATE THE ISSUE?

IF I THOUGHT FOR ONE MINUTE YOU WERE HONESTLY INQUIRING ABOUT THE CRIME BY ALL MEANS I'D ELABORATE...BUT YOU'RE NOT, AND THAT WAS OBVIOUS FROM YOUR FIRST REPLY, YOUR 2ND POST DEMANDING AN ANSWER AND FOLLOW-ON POSTS. IF YOU WANT STATISTICAL DATA LOOK IT UP YOURSELF AND THEN YOU CAN DEBATE WITH YOURSELF.

THIS REMINDS ME OF SOME KID WHO DOESN'T HAVE ANYTHING TO FIGHT OVER BUT WANTS TO START SOMETHING FOR THE FUN OF IT.

RATHER THAN BEING OFFENSIVE WHY NOT JUST ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOUR PAINT BRUSH HAS NO BRISTLES.
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 11:48 AM
mm

Traveler863,

please note the lowercase as i am laughing too hard to use the shift key.

bummer. you had seemed like a fairly intelligent and well traveled person. i had no idea you were such a cry-baby.

regards,

mm
Old Nov 5th, 2004, 03:58 PM

mm

Give it a rest already!! You are the one who seems immature. Traveler863 couldn't have said it better in the first paragraph of his last post. That is exactly what I was thinking. Don't bother to respond, I have said my peace.