BOTSWANA, a year's planning!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After over a year of planning, changing dates, methods of accommodation, and many hours of consultation with Bill Given (Predator Biologist) my wife, Rossana and I have finally decided and paid deposit's on the following for September 2009 in Botswana.

Arrive JBN Aug 31, overnight Grand Hotel.

Arrive Maun with Air Botswana, Sept 1 and pickup Masson's private mobile safari for 10 nights visiting the more remote areas of Moremi, Savuti Marsh and on the Chobe River.

Sept 11 catch a Delta flight for 3 nights at Deception Valley Lodge (CKGR).

Then from Sept 14 flying Delta finish up with 8 nights at Mapula Lodge in the Okavango Delta.
(Yes, I know some of you might say 8 nights is too much, but we both prefer longer stays rather than flip about 2-3 nights with short hopping flights, plus you increase your chances to see predators in action with a longer stay IMHO ;-))

Dep Delta Sept 22 for Maun.

Returning Air Botswana to JBN, Sept 22.

Overnighting JBN-Grand Hotel before flying out Sept 23 for our return flight back to Sydney.

All up 23 days, with 21 days spent in Botswana. I think this gives a good cross section, with the variety and flexibility of mobile camping coupled to more relaxing stays in some fine Lodges,

It's funny how you start out planning a Safari and end up with something completely different to what was originally conceived!
This has happened every time, we've set out for Africa. LOL.
Three weeks+ in Botswana, WOW.....it was originally only 14-15 days!
With these types of trips it's vitally important to get it right, especially in the planning stages.
Once again I have to thank Bill and his website the Wild Source for helping every step of the way!
Roll on next September!

Cheers
Marc

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 06:47 PM

8 nights is great. You'll have in depth knowledge of the place to share with us.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 07:32 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Just hearing that you are planning a mobile trip with Masson's makes me want to pick up the phone and plan a trip. I've been on two mobile safaris in Botswana and loved both of them. I also don't think 8 nights is too many to spend in one place. (Well, I guess if you choose the wrong camp it is.) I spent 6 nights at Mashatu a few months ago and the time went very quickly. You have a very nice trip planned. Congrats!
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Lynn.
I forgot to mention earlier that I also have to thank Jochen (pixelpower) for his detailed trip report on doing a mobile safari in Botswana with Masson's.

Cheers
Marc
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Sundowner

Which mobile camps did you do and did you share the vehicle with others?
We have booked a private vehicle with Masson's and the rates compared to private Lodges (with private vehicles) are fantastic!

Cheers
Marc
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 08:01 PM

Waiting eagerly for your report on Masson's private safari. I'd like to do a mobile some day. (Mark calendar, africaddict, Sep 2009, Masson's mobile trip report due ).

Eight/ten nights in same safari camp is fine with me. IF good camp. Not so good if not good camp. Been there done exactly that this last Sep. Kings Camp - good, Ngala Lodge - not so good. (Trip report posted here).

regards - tom
ps - it's JNB not JBN, right. Just to be sure you're going to right airport
ps ps - Myself, I'm looking to go back to South AFrica for Sep 2009.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 08:17 PM
Original Poster

Hi Tom

Yes should be JNB, correct. ;-)
I'll definitely be putting in a report on our return.
I understand in regards to a long stay as long as it's a good stay.
You can align all the stars in the solar system and still end up with a dud, however going by (most) of the glowing reports on Mapula our expectations will hopefully be met.

BTW Tom, have just been catching up on all the bitchy postings re. Skimmers images, and have now noticed on Aardvark Travel that they have gone (again) plus the trip report on Johan's Masson's review?

Can you please report to me that you are now shooting/processing in RAW ;-)

Cheers
Marc
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 08:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 1 Post
Marc, both mobiles were with a group of photographers. Once with Gametrails and our guide was Nick, Masson's father-in-law. Nick was great. That trip was in October, 2005. A trip report and photos are here. That was an excellent trip. http://www.pbase.com/cjw/botswana_africa_2005

The other trip was in August, 2007, and was with Joyce and Simon Paul of Maun Rest Camp. Their tents and setup were very similar to Gametrails but the vehicles were much better. They also added some extra rails and stuff to have a place to brace your camera on. They also contract with REI to do the Botswana portion of the safaris that they sell. I haven't processed all of the photos from that trip but the ones I have done are here http://www.pbase.com/cjw/botswana_2007

I'm sure you'll have an excellent time, especially on a private trip.
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 09:00 PM

Thanks for the photos posts. Loved the sunset photos!!! www.pbase.com/pattyroth
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 09:35 PM

Marc - skimmer's images gone again? Yep, just looked, confirm that. Don't know, they were back for at least a few days. I don't see any more arguments on the Fodors site regarding them. Soooo . . . ? (Some of my safari photos wound up being discussed and critiqued which was fun).

Cindy/sundowner vouching for Masson's is a good recommendation.

Yes, RAW, my cameras shoot in RAW but I still leave it in the camera . Still only taking the best most neutral jpg out and working it. I admit RAW could help but the question is how much and how often. I'd guess it could help maybe 2% of my photos but that's not often enough to be worth the additional work. That is, even if I used RAW I'd still take every image I like into Photoshop for cropping and other processing. I'm more interested in perhaps the 20 really good images out of 2,000. In other news, I have not gotten the Nikon D300, still using the D200 (and D40X). Going to wait for the next DX model. FX format doesn't interest me for wildlife photos. Never mind the larger body etc. required to carry-on and around. So, going to wait and see what the D400 brings.

regards - tom
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 09:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cindy.

Great trip report, it reminded me of my overlanding days in the 90's. I shared a 6 wheeled drive truck with 19 others for 6 months going from Cape Town to London back in '93.
And found that when I returned to OZ I needed to escape society again and did a similar overland journey for another 6 months traveling round Sth America.
A lot of friends I made from my Africa trip thought I was NUTS!!!

......hmmmm..........maybe nothing's changed!

Cheers
Marc
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 09:51 PM
Original Poster

Tom

I hear what your saying in regards to RAW. The D300's jpg's (if shot correctly) are almost (not quite) as good as processed RAW's!!
Having said that, I loved to trawl through 5000+ images processing from RAW :-\ . LOL.

Cheers
Marc
Old Nov 6th, 2008, 10:18 PM
sniktawk

Marc,
That sounds a very nice trip, a very sound choice based on very sound advice. 8 days at Mapula sounds very nice we only did 6 but will be back again in March for a further 5. We are having a private safari with Massons (3 of us) before we go to Mapula. We are also currently booking Savuti/Chobe for November, Let's hope we all have very good luck!!

Old Nov 6th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Ken

We have spoken about this trip on another forum.
I'll look forward to your report when you get back, have a wonderful time.

Cheers
Marc
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 12:43 AM

Mark & Rossana
Sounds like a great plan 8 days at Mapula is not too much, time spent with wildlife is the key to those special shots. we recently attended a lecture by Andy Rouse and he emphasised this very point and after some 30 years of visiting africas different countries I couldnt agree more.We recently visited Namibia and stayed 4 nights at each of the main camps best thing we could have done and are now members of a very elite club those who have seen black rhinos mating what a buzz. I am sure you will both have a superb trip and by the way my lovely lady JEANIEG is completing her web design currently editing 12000 pics from Namibia should keep her busy through the winter we will let you know progress.

Old Nov 7th, 2008, 12:56 AM
sniktawk

Leonard G
As you are new it is probable that you did not know that a mention of Andy Rouse on this forum, usually results in damning criticism. I am a great fan and have been privileged to join him on safari.
We recently visited Etosha and also saw mating Black Rhino at Okaukuejo on 2nd September.
There is some rather bad video ( I had to try to remove the color cast from the lights and much else)of this posted on You Tube at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pueTUE6U_so

Old Nov 7th, 2008, 01:59 AM

>>> I forgot to mention earlier that I also have to thank Jochen (pixelpower) for his detailed trip report on doing a mobile safari in Botswana with Masson's.

You're welcome, Marc! You'll enjoy Ewan and his gang, I'm very sure of it.

Enjoy, and please show us the pictures.

Ciao,

J.
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 09:49 AM

africaddict,
sounds like a perfect itinerary, but having to wait for a year is so painful!

LeonardG
I went to Andy Rouse's lecture too, very interesting and also informative about where to go to get good pictures. I think his book is also a good source of tips and inspiration - though the photos posted here are also an inspiration to me.

Sniktawk
I wondered why my mention of Andy Rouse's lecure was met by resounding silence - I didn't know there was 'history' here. You went on safari with him? Did he ever stop talking long enough to take a photo??!!

Old Nov 7th, 2008, 09:53 AM

Excellent Marc! Sounds like a great trip. &lt
Old Nov 7th, 2008, 10:16 AM

tockoloshe, Sniktawk is annoyed by the fact that not everyone is as big a fan of Andy Rouse as he is and that I dared to say so publicly.
I think that the best of Andy Rouse's work is fantastic, however, I was very put off when, a few years ago he did a regular feature in an amateur photography magazine. Perhaps they were paying peanuts but he consistently presented images I felt were not worthy of his skills and nor did I happen to like the way he came across in his writing.
Friends of mine also attended one of his zoo photography advice sessions and I found some of his comments that they relayed to me rather unpleasant.
This all came up because Sniktawn was disparaging of certain other professional photographers that were under discussion at the time and put Andy Rouse forward as far superior to those individuals.
I posted my personal opinions in response and he's not been able to let it go since then.
As I said, I absolutely find some of Andy Rouse's top work truly excellent but that doesn't mean I'm not entitled to express my opinions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -